• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tools for Explorer Serpentine and EFI

kman67

Contributor
Loc.
Aptos
After making several trips to the junkyard because of not having the right tools, I thought I'd post up what specific tools are needed. I tried commenting on the https://classicbroncos.com/tech/explorer-5-0-serpentine-accessory-drive-belt-conversion tech article, but couldn't sign in? There is a lot of good info there, I just want to add to it. Along with basic tools/breaker bar/hammer, there are some special ones:
For the serpentine parts:
Deeps sockets up to 14 mm
36 mm fan clutch wrench and holder
24mm or 15/16" socket for balancer bolt on the crank.
Harmonic balancer remover with M8-1.25 long bolts. Although the 28 oz balancer I got from damperdudes.net(now $209) has 5/16" coarse holes. I had to remove the radiator to get the puller on. It would have been easier to also remove the AC condenser, but the AC tubes were rusted solid and didn't have something to cut the AC lines.

For the EFI:
T20 torx bit/screw driver for top plate on top the upper manifold. (You need to remove this to get to the hidden upper manifold bolts, thanks Doug!)
13mm deep socket for the heater tube bolt near the rear of the manifold (keep this bolt if going to use the tube)
26mm socket for the heater tube adapter at the front of the manifold
Ford EFI fuel line disconnect tool for 5/16" and 3/8" line

Please add on if I left something out.

Last edited:

BroncoLee

Loc.
Broken Arrow, OK
Thank you for posting this, I was making a list today and had everything except the fan wrench. Did you send the old harmonic balancer to Damper Dudes or is that the cost for the balancer from them now? I was trying to find a 94-95 Mustang GT crank pulley to keep from having to buy a damper but will if needed and that seems like the easier way to go although it will cost more.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
kman, info like this is always welcome...Thanks!

BroncoLee

Loc.
Broken Arrow, OK
This will be my first time removing a serpentine setup. Can I remove the fan, clutch, water pump together or will I need to disassemble it at the yard? How long do the M8 bolts need to be? How long does it typically take you to remove the parts at the yard?
Thanks again for any information!

Lee

OP
OP
kman67

kman67

Contributor
Loc.
Aptos
That is the cost of a new balancer. I did not send them an old one, nor did they require a core charge.

The M8 bolts are 3” long, they came with the balancer puller.

I would plan on a couple hours to pull everything.

I’m pretty sure you need to remove the fan to get the balancer off to remove the cover.

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Whatcha up to @kman67? You're gonna swap the front and the Explorer EFI? Stock computer or something else?

OP
OP
kman67

kman67

Contributor
Loc.
Aptos
Whatcha up to @kman67? You're gonna swap the front and the Explorer EFI? Stock computer or something else?
I'm still in the middle of redoing my interior: going to a stockish dash/floors/bed/ bigger inner fenders. Since I'm working on that I decided to pull the engine and dropped it off to get rebuilt as I've always had overheating problems. While it was at the shop I had them install a cam from Flow Tech Induction for more low end torque vs the Ford E303 cam I had. I'm going the Explorer front dress to help with cooling and fuel rail to get the fuel lines on the driver's side. I'm sticking with the mustang SEFI.