• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

To BUY-- TBP 9 leaf pack vs WH 11 leaf pack??!!

70Canada

Loc.
Canada
just looking at the 3.5 " suspension lift .. going to pull the trigger, in the end it sure looks as though.. bang for your buck that the TBP pkg is better bang for the buck. 70/30 cruiser and trail. so fit for purposed .. not a big wheeler. but all i can think of about the 9pk vs the 11pk is that the 11pk may be a slightly better ride? but am i ever going to notice the finite things like that... probably not I'm guessing.

OP
OP
70Canada

70Canada

Loc.
Canada
the kit will run the 5100 bilsteins so apples to apples on the shocks which also play a big role.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I went with Toms for the same rationale you stated. Much softer than my previous add a leaf, but I have no experience with the WH 11 leaf...everyone loves them tho.

Mikesimp70

I have TBP 2.5 w Bilsteins. Very happy with it. I would think an 11 pack would be more harsh on the street.

OP
OP
70Canada

70Canada

Loc.
Canada
Thanks guys.. have no idea why WH doesn’t just create a whole turn key pkg like TBP

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Wild Horses has a number of different suspension kits I believe they go by letter. And the general consensus is the leaf packs with more leaf springs have thinner leaves and therefore ride softer. The Advent of the nine Leaf pack was actually to stiffen the ride up slightly because so many Broncos during the early 2000s had super soft suspension and horrible Sway in the corners. I believe BC were the first ones to come up with a 9 Leaf pack. But the fact is the difference is probably small and if you really like the Tom's package you should go ahead and get that one.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...but all i can think of about the 9pk vs the 11pk is that the 11pk may be a slightly better ride?

Generally true, but not always. Quite a few things determine perceived ride quality.
Overall "arch" of the pack.
Thickness of each leaf (related to the above actually) and how it effects overall pack thickness.
The other parts that are used in the assembly (slipper pads, clamp design, etc) and the usual stuff like that.

More arch is generally going to ride stiffer. More leaves can ride softer, especially if they're thinner. A thicker/taller pack can have less arch for a given amount of lift because some of the actual ride height comes from the thickness of the pack, as opposed to how stiff it is and/or how much arch.
A stiffer spring could possibly carry more payload and may reduce axle-wrap, but sacrifice some ride comfort. Again, more than just thickness and arch, but stiff-vs-soft certainly plays it's part.

but am i ever going to notice the finite things like that... probably not I'm guessing.

Reasonable guess. But if you already have a modern high leaf count spring and drive your Bronco regularly you would probably be able to feel the difference. If you're riding old-school right now, or don't drive the Bronco much, you might be happy with either design.

the kit will run the 5100 bilsteins so apples to apples on the shocks which also play a big role.

A HUGE role for sure! But this is also where personal preference and overall vehicle layout/setup play a big part.
We've seen it time and time again over the years, where the same shock is perfect for some, too soft for others, and too stiff for others still. So they're very hard to quantify other than to say that 95% of the people with Broncos seem to love their Bilstein shocks. And that's a huge difference from most other brands (In fact, ALL other brands that I'm familiar with) of shocks on modified 4-wd trucks of any description.
Which makes them at least a good bet.

And speaking of differences in ride quality, tires are often an overlooked, but extremely big part of this too. Larger diameter wheels will offer up a shorter sidewall, which could be stiffer. Higher load range tires are DEFINITELY stiffer riding on the street than lower rated tires.
So if you're changing tires at the same time, take that into account.

Thanks guys.. have no idea why WH doesn’t just create a whole turn key pkg like TBP

Did you see these: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Suspension_System_3in
If so, is there some other aspect you'd like to see in full "kits" vs what we have currently?
If so let us know and it'll at least get looked at to see how we feel it would fall into our lineup.

Good luck! Tough decision actually, because it's one you hope to be able to live with happily ever after (or at least for many years!) and get your money's worth.;D

Paul

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Wild Horses has a number of different suspension kits I believe they go by letter. And the general consensus is the leaf packs with more leaf springs have thinner leaves and therefore ride softer. The Advent of the nine Leaf pack was actually to stiffen the ride up slightly because so many Broncos during the early 2000s had super soft suspension and horrible Sway in the corners. I believe BC were the first ones to come up with a 9 Leaf pack. But the fact is the difference is probably small and if you really like the Tom's package you should go ahead and get that one.

Cage had the first 9 pack leafs. I know chuck wanted to have an apples to apples comparison of the 9 vs 11 pack springs. Dont know if they ever did but bc started offering
9 packs so he must have tried em out. I have the older bc 11s and I'm happy with em.

OP
OP
70Canada

70Canada

Loc.
Canada
thanks Dirt Donk/ Paul. great read and response. I'm usually pretty confident when i make a big buy but on this one theres been a little bit of buyers remorse to be honest.. as the suspension lift is currently in transport to montana where a friend is going to pick it up for me to bring back to Alberta Canada. Seriously sucks being so far away from all the support as we pull wrenches on our broncos north of the border!.. so should have trusted my gut but my wallet plays a big role in it as well with the terrible exchange rate and transport etc. its all a killer.... not for the faint of wallet lol.. As for the WH 3.5" Bils pack - its missing the 6 degree shims, trac bar drop bracket, pitman arm drop bracket, ebrake extension cables, front & rear braided brake cables, all extras over and above when putting the 3.5" together. Toms also provided me a discounted price of 5%. all little things count since i also nabbed the adjustable drag link and trac bar. I do want to make a point though and be very clear that the guys have always been great to deal with at WH and very helpful- Big shout to the guys as I sometimes fumble through things (especially Jeremy as he helped me redirect a pkg over to a final destination that i believe cost WH approx. 25$ that he took on himself.!) kudos to WH and I def won't stop doing business there. Yes I currently run stock, on 15x10 wheels with all 4 corners cut and 33" x 14.00 TSL boggers(which actually only measure to 31") but I am moving to a sweet set of 17 x 9's with rubber to either a toyo MT 33 or 35 (they measure true to those heights so sidewall on the 33" will stay equivalent ) sidewall may be a little stiffer ride.

OP
OP
70Canada

70Canada

Loc.
Canada
I also took the theory of 9 vs 11.. thinner .. more leafs.. could be compared to an 8 spd vs a 10spd.. smoother transitions..

OP
OP
70Canada

70Canada

Loc.
Canada
just so Paul and the others know what i compared was the closest apples to apples kits.. which is exactly what i wanted... 4 bil shocks, no hoops, just leafs, coils and off to the races but of course everything else that a guy needed too. so the comparison was between
WH Part # 0103BL3.5N $1173.02 vs TBP 6960-BIL $1235- 5% discount $1,173
missing parts from the WH Kit were as follows as shown on your website and write up on this kit
- drop trac bar bracket $35
- drop pitman arm bracket $65
- 6 degree shims $35
- Front / Rear steel braided brake hoses $84
- Extended Driver/Passenger Emergency Brake Cables ($35 right/$35 left) - $70
Total additional value added to TBP 3.5" lift kit - $289 USD / $390 CAD + you have to account for the 7.25% sales tax in cali vs 0% sales tax in oregon which would add another $85 for a Grand total of $374 USD / $505 CAD. It starts to add up :( - That pays for the lengthening of my rear drive shaft w/new joints and balance as halfway to doing my front driveshaft as part of rolling with the 3.5" lift.

Who knows, maybe WH would have matched TBP if given the opportunity, ... like the saying goes.... you don't know until you ask i guess.

Sorry if I am inaccurate on something within the WH kit as I am just going with the info that i have access to.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
I'm late to the party but I will clarify a couple items for anyone checking this out. Apples to apples WH price matches so with that understood we can move to the non-apples.
1. EX duty u-bolt kits in WH kits. Not all kits but the ones compared. $60-70 difference USD well worth the extra expense.
2. Leaf springs: WH USA made 11 leaf vs 9 leaf about $200 difference USD. Having proto typed and tested 8 and 9 leaf rear springs we chose to stick with the 11 leaf design. That was a personal preference based on what the ride difference felt like. No right or wrong just our preference.
3. No tax for Canada (or Montana);D

Competition is good for everyone. Thanks for checking out what we have to offer. Keep us in mind for the next round. Good luck with the build.

Jim

OP
OP
70Canada

70Canada

Loc.
Canada
Perfect
Thanks for the info !!
This is exactly what I hoped for when I set out on this adventure
It’s very much appreciated!!!