• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tin and Tar - First Time 68 Bronco Resto

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I don't know if you can see it but mine are pretty wide, I'll def have to trim them back! Thought I posted this photo before I messaged you!
image.jpg

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It's been awhile since my last update but trust me I've been busy working on the truck. Once the grill was cleaned off I patched and filled the areas and now that its on the truck I can see the corners need to be bent down a smidge in order to line up a little better with the fenders. I've had the doors, tailgate, windshield frame, top, wheels, and bumpers blasted so the next update will highlight the repairs on those parts

IMG_1473.jpg IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg IMG_2619.jpg

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Blasting!
Got a bunch of parts cleaned up. The 20lb media blaster wasn't cutting it so I had my neighbor clean some parts up. Im in the middle of filling and sanding now so hopefully in the next 2 weeks we can get her primed!

IMG_2779.jpg IMG_2778.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Did some patchwork on the window frame, she was pretty roached. It looked pretty bad after removing the tin plate that was tarred in. I almost considered scrapping it. We had to replace the threaded plate for the windshield knob on the diver side. I was going to try and use an easy out on the broken bolt but when I went to drill it, the whole plate fell off rom behind. Lucky we had a "pre rusted" access hole in the corner where we could fish the old one out and use a wire to pull the new one in place! Once the plate was tacked in we cut some steel to patch up the access point. Then cut out the bad stuff on the frame where the hood latch attaches and welded in some new steel! looks pretty good now!
IMG_2129.jpg IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg IMG_3588.jpg

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I also got my rear quarters hung along with the filler hose panels and they look really good too! I just need to install my taillight housings and the back will be done!
IMG_2135.jpg IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
While I was working on these other things I dropped my rims, bumpers, dash, door inserts, and license plate holder off at the powder coater. Im pretty happy how they turned out. I only have pictures of the rims as everything else is still wrapped up in foam

IMG_3273.jpg IMG_3927.JPG

IMG_3981.jpg

Lastly, never have your chevy buddy pick up parts for you or this may happen...

IMG_3928.JPG

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Earlier last week I taught a young kid whos been helping me out on the project how to weld and fab some stuff up. We ended up building a parts tree that I saw on eastwood for $450. Our cost was about $80 after all the steel, hardware and casters. It came out pretty well and will work great when priming the doors and fenders

IMG_4003.jpg IMG_4017.jpg

IMG_4024.jpg

Bferrari

Looking good Ryan. It's awesome that your able to mentor a future bronco owner and teach him skills he will be able to use the rest of his life! The smile he's got on his face says it all! Now let's see some paint on your rig ;)

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Getting close, hopefully after my next week off we'll start priming some parts. Right now were just in the monotonous stage of sanding everything. Yeah, he loves these old trucks I'm also telling him he needs to figure out what he wants to do for a living so he can afford a hobby like this!

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
In case you've been wondering what I've been doing, just sanding and filling and sanding and filling, and sanding and filling.....good lord shoot me!

image.jpg

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
After putting countless hours into sanding and filling all the little dings and dents and fixing the dent in the tailgate I can say I'm happy with the way things are looking! I put a coat of rattle can primer on now just to keep things from rusting on me. The humidity has been crazy with storms and tornadoes in southern michigan! Anyways, here's how they're looking!

image.jpg

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Finally got a couple coats of epoxy primer on my tailgate, grill, doors and window frames! I feel like I'm making some progress here! I ended up sanding the majority of the rattle can stuff off and it's looks good! I'll still need to do a little filling here and there but overall I'm happy!

image.jpg

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Tailight housings

I mounted my taillight housings and everything looks good except the top line. It's off just a smidge but its weird as it sits flush on top. All the other lines match up great except where the lower/upper quarter meet the taillight housing. I'm hopping a small amount of filler can blend this in!
IMG_6389.jpg IMG_6402.jpg

IMG_6411.jpg IMG_6417.jpg

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Gotta ask....did the taillight housing and the lower quarter come from different vendors? And did you buy the part that claims stamped from new tooling?

Reason I ask, I had a similar issue with my rockers. They fit horrible. I had bought them years earlier and installed them. They just didn't look right. Bends were not crisp, etc. Then nearing the end of my build (years later) I found on jeffsbroncograveyard new rockers and the claim was 'Just like OEM' or some such. They did look better. I bit the bullet, bought those two new rockers from JBG, cut out the new rockers I had previously installed and then installed these new rockers. They looked 100 percent better. Some of that might have been my body work had improved over the years, but also, they were just a much better stamped part.

It could be that your current housing is just a poorly produced part. Might be worth it to remove it and do over. That is a tough decision to make, especially if nearing the end. But, you will be living with this Bronco forever most likely and you'll thank yourself later.

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/66-...ng-Left-Tail-Light-Section/productinfo/14125/

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yup, those are the same ones. Everything on this truck came from JBGY. I did have to grind down the taillight post to get the housing to sit flush with the top of the upper quarter. Ive since tweaked the housings by tapping and pounding em here and there to fit a little better. It looks ok, its just that line and I believe a little filler will work. If not I will tear it off, buy new ones, and start over. :/ lol

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Well, that is all you can do! You got the best you could. It is hard to see clearly, with the parts being black. I would think some filler and shaping would make it look fine. You just don't want a thick layer of filler or it is gonna crack someday.

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Well, I did a little sanding and filling and the taillight housing lines look good! Got the trans painted, motor is back from the shop! Seams are all sealed. Hope to have the tub epoxy primed by this Thursday!

IMG_8260.jpg IMG_8263.jpg

IMG_8256.jpg IMG_8258.jpg

IMG_8259.jpg IMG_8261.jpg

IMG_8262.jpg IMG_7475.jpg

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
primered

well, finally got her sealed up with some epoxy primer! Looks good being a solid color! Just need to do some block sanding and hopefully get her to paint by end of November!

IMG_8571.jpg IMG_8532.jpg

IMG_8552.jpg IMG_8521.jpg

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Love when the primer goes on! Helps cover all the hours of work that have been done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk