• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Tricky EcoBoost Early Bronco Build

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
New to the site. I've always loved the early Broncos but the nice ones have been out of budget and I didn't want to take the time to build one.

I've had a Badlands 2dr for about 18 months and while I do really like it I have concerns about how it's going to hold up out of warranty and the costs to keep it going. As it is I have 2 costly repairs to have warrantied right now. So I'm about to put it up for sale and start planning out what I really want.

As luck would have it I won a set of Tom's Offroad 1G seats at the Moab Safari. I could have picked a 6G prize but I went with my gut... So check that off the build. 😁

I'm considering 2 different powertrains, very different from each other and both uncommon. I have both the engines already. Either a Isuzu 4BD1T/ZF5/Atlas 2spd or a 2.3 Ecoboost/AX15/Ecobox/NP205.

I'm in Washington State now but intend on moving to Tennessee next year so I'm trying to put off buying one until I get there. The project grade ones up here aren't as rusty but they're priced muuuuch higher, so it's a trade off.

I also have a 88 Bronco II that's under the knife for Super Duty axles, it's my beater toy and the 1G would just handle the light crawling the 6G does now.

BTW, I'm not sure how well known my little store is over here since it's primarily 6G accessories, but I run TD-Distributing.com

Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Welcome aboard😎

If anyone is curious @Tricky Dick 6G is pretty nice and he’s not afraid to use it other than being a tad intimidated by Where Eagles Dare (anyone smart should be lol). Had the pleasure of spending a few days with him and his family at the Safari this year.

Attachments

• IMG_3711.jpeg
    IMG_3711.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3705.jpeg
    IMG_3705.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 123

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Welcome, but help me understand....you want an early bronco with no warranty to replace a vehicle with a warranty(can also buy extended warranty for pretty cheap) so that you can have an old vehicle with non-traditional drivetrains?? Haha messing with you of course. Put a Ford EFI 302 or 351 in one and enjoy. Spend your money on suspension if you like to wheel and crawl.

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
Welcome, but help me understand....you want an early bronco with no warranty to replace a vehicle with a warranty(can also buy extended warranty for pretty cheap) so that you can have an old vehicle with non-traditional drivetrains?? Haha messing with you of course. Put a Ford EFI 302 or 351 in one and enjoy. Spend your money on suspension if you like to wheel and crawl.
I get what you're saying but the difference is I can easily work on older stuff. Right now my lane keep/automatic braking camera is out on the 6G. Warranty will take care of it this time, but next time I'm probably going to be on the hook and that doesn't sound like a fun job. Also last year I had a boulder roll up inside the driver wheel well, the dealer bill was 5k to replace everything.

All that aside, let's face it, it's still an imitation of the real thing.

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
Welcome aboard😎

If anyone is curious @Tricky Dick 6G is pretty nice and he’s not afraid to use it other than being a tad intimidated by Where Eagles Dare (anyone smart should be lol). Had the pleasure of spending a few days with him and his family at the Safari this year.
Thanks! Following you guys was probably the moment the 6G lost a little shine. I was jealous of those rigs.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I get what you're saying but the difference is I can easily work on older stuff. Right now my lane keep/automatic braking camera is out on the 6G. Warranty will take care of it this time, but next time I'm probably going to be on the hook and that doesn't sound like a fun job. Also last year I had a boulder roll up inside the driver wheel well, the dealer bill was 5k to replace everything.

All that aside, let's face it, it's still an imitation of the real thing.
Same here, there's not much I can do besides the engine basics and suspension/axle work on my wife's 22' 2D Badlands. She just turned 30k on it, so far so good. We still take the old broncos for fun though lol.

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
Welcome. Skip the 1g or g1 name. BRONCO, classic bronco or early bronco

Early Broncos have so much potential to design and build it the way you want.
I've been building how I want for years and was so excited to buy something from the factory that checked all my boxes. Yeah...that lasted about a month before I started modifying.

Leaning 2.3 on this one, I really love that engine.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
What kind of HP & Torque can you get out of the 4BD1T? Driving a diesel off-road is a different experience. For a non racing use it's my first choice.

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
What kind of HP & Torque can you get out of the 4BD1T? Driving a diesel off-road is a different experience. For a non racing use it's my first choice.
With the compound turbos on it now it should be good for about 175-200/350-450 on the stock injection pump. With more fuel 350hp is where you start to worry about the head gasket.

It's sitting in the engine bay of a super clean 04 F150 right now with the ZF5 and I'm somewhat inclined to leave it there.

CowboyGrin

Contributor
the circus looks like fun
Loc.
Oklahoma
Thanks! Following you guys was probably the moment the 6G lost a little shine. I was jealous of those rigs.
From what I’ve read about Yeller’s rig, I would be surprised if most early broncos haven’t lost some shine too. ;-)

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
From what I’ve read about Yeller’s rig, I would be surprised if most early broncos haven’t lost some shine too. ;-)
Yeah I suppose that's about right. I'd happily take either of the other 2 Broncos with him as well though. Steve and his group were super friendly too, I've run into some elitist EB owners before so that was really nice to experience.

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
Welcome Tricky! If you followed, hung out, wheeled with, or even talked to Yeller (Steve)- You have made the cut. LOL. The true Bronco guys are a very tight knit and accommodating group. Hopefully you find this site very useful as well as the people within.
Funny story how I met him. My friend and I were driving with the Moab Safari group on Poison Spider. We came up this one hill and our group pulled over to the right and stopped but as I crested the hill I missed our group and just started following the first Bronco in front of me, which happened to be Steve's group. We followed them for quite a while until they stopped for a break. We hung back because we didn't want to intrude but they were super welcoming. Turns out we were staying in Airbnbs on the same block too.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
2 doors away at that😂

Glad to hear you’re nearing a home for those seats😎

Most of my friends I’ve met just like that, lost, broken or just looking for a group moving, has introduced me to some really fine folks 😊

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
So here's the unit that's incoming. It's coming with the correct top on and some rough fenders, which will probably be replaced eventually but I just want to get it on the road quickly before going full out.

It has the 170 in it, which is complete and turns over so I'll likely see if it will run.

Seems to be minimal rust so the body will be left alone for a while.

I think I'll do a disc conversion on the D30 for now. I read that a 66 should have 4.10s?

Attachments

• IMG_1011.jpeg
    IMG_1011.jpeg
    377.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1035.jpeg
    IMG_1035.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20230725_112251.jpg
    IMG_20230725_112251.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20230725_111343.jpg
    IMG_20230725_111343.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20230725_112109.jpg
    IMG_20230725_112109.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 80

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Looks like a really solid foundation to start with. The fact it has the 170 in it, most likely will have 4.10 gears. The year dosent have as much to do with it. If it were a V8 it could have 3.50 or 4.10 in it. If you are going to put any more motor to it (other than the 170) and you are going to wheel it I wouldnt spend a cent on that dana 30. Try to find a dana 44. They do pop up on here from time to time and would be a direct bolt in. The dana 44 is stronger all around and has tons of aftermarket support. If your just driving on the street or staying with the 170 you could roll with the dana 30.

Good luck!