• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock tank with EFI - drop in fuel pump options

davisjstone

Contributor
BroncoNewbie
Newbie here and i'm learning as I go...I'm converting my 74 with a 351w to sniper EFI. Going with the Sniper 2 kit that was just released. Wanting to retain the stock tank for now to save on funds. I don't plan to drive long distances so figured going with a 23 gallon tank is overkill. I've done a lot of research and I'm aware of the pros/cons of the intake pump vs external pump. With the external, im concerned with noise and heat. I know many have had success, others have not. There is probably a way to cut a hole in the top of the stock tank and drop an an in-tank pump in?

I came across this on Holley's (PN 12-305) site and wondered it it would work with the stock bronco tank? It's for a mustang but im thinking it might be compatible. Holley was no help. It basically uses a sending unit as the drop in pump. If it fit, it would eliminate the need for a return line, has a built in regulator, and could be accessed without removing the tank thus elevating many of the external pump concerns but with minimal fab and install work.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/ignition_and_fuel_systems/muscle_car_efi_modules/parts/12-30

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Holley "retorfit" fuel pump install in Bronco stock tank.

I went external and it's worked great. E2000 pump is quiet as a church mouse....No heat issues.

Tim

Attachments

• 20160929_180136.jpg
    20160929_180136.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
D

davisjstone

Contributor
BroncoNewbie
Holley "retorfit" fuel pump install in Bronco stock tank.

I went external and it's worked great. E2000 pump is quiet as a church mouse....No heat issues.

Tim
Thanks Tim. I've seen that video and figured the sending unit one might save on the headache of fabricating. I'm not a welder, although I keep telling myself I should learn. Good to know about the E2000. Looks like it out of stock, or maybe there's a newer version. I'll look into it.

OP
OP
D

davisjstone

Contributor
BroncoNewbie
I used this one in my stock tank: https://www.hyperfuelsystems.com/products/hy-fuel-tight-fit-in-tank-retrofit-kit-40015 but I'm running a FITech with internal regulator. Def need a body lift as it sits on top of the tank, and given the amount of problems most have had with returnless systems (outside of some of the Explorer people) I was definitely running a return line.
Thanks. It's been working well for you? I have a 1 inch body lift, think that would be enough for clearance?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thanks Tim. I've seen that video and figured the sending unit one might save on the headache of fabricating. I'm not a welder, although I keep telling myself I should learn. Good to know about the E2000. Looks like it out of stock, or maybe there's a newer version. I'll look into it.
UGH...Sorry for the confusion. So the Airtex E2000 is what I was running and yes they seem to be out of stock. I got mine at Summit when I did my EFI conversion. E2000 is just Airtex's name for the Ford pump used on 1985-89 F250's with 5.0 It was used with the 351w in 88-89

I burned the E2000 up when some road debris or neighbor or act of god cut my low pressure suction line and it sucked air i.e. cavitated and slowly died over last summer. The good part about running the E2000/Ford style pump is any parts store has them or can get them really quick. I'm currently running the pump I bought from OReilly's

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...otive-truck-1986-ford-f-250?q=fuel+pump&pos=2

This things have sure gone up in price since last summer....Lots of other Brand choices out there. I know for a fact the E2000 and the pump above is super quiet.

Tim

omureebe

Thanks. It's been working well for you? I have a 1 inch body lift, think that would be enough for clearance?
yup - I only put maybe 500 miles a year just around town)on my Bronco but it's been running well for at least three years. And 1" lift is just enough.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thanks. Do you have any pics of where you installed/drilled the tank. Did it interfere with the sending until? There’s not a lot of flat space on top of the tank as I recall from pictures.
Mine is external. Stock tank no cutting. Hose with filter from stock sending unit to pump. Mounted on the frame crossmember in front of the tank. Easy to get to and lots of airflow for cooling. I ran a return line plumbing it into the filler neck vent hose.

I was going to run this and then buy an efi tank but the setup works so well I decided to keep it as is

Tim

OP
OP
D

davisjstone

Contributor
BroncoNewbie
Mine is external. Stock tank no cutting. Hose with filter from stock sending unit to pump. Mounted on the frame crossmember in front of the tank. Easy to get to and lots of airflow for cooling. I ran a return line plumbing it into the filler neck vent hose.

I was going to run this and then buy an efi tank but the setup works so well I decided to keep it as is

Tim
Thanks!

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
If you do a search there is lots of threads on intank vs a frame mounted pump. I have run both and the only downside I think for the intank pump is the hassle when it dies.. But I have had mine for quite a long time "in tank" with no issues.

OP
OP
D

davisjstone

Contributor
BroncoNewbie
Found this from Matt’s Garage which is exactly what I was looking for. Same as Otis recommended. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.

Otis Campbell

Contributor
Contributor
Thanks. Do you have any pics of where you installed/drilled the tank. Did it interfere with the sending until? There’s not a lot of flat space on top of the tank as I recall from pictures.
They recommend installation as far back and right as possible (if looking as the vehicle faces). I had to bend the sending unit arm ever so slightly to get proper clearance. I do have some pictures. Let me see if I can find them.

Otis Campbell

Contributor
Contributor
Thanks. There are perfect. Any trouble with the seam on the tank or is the gasket enough to make it work with no leaks?
I'm still putting it together. Working on Painless wiring kit now. Maybe sometime next year it will run again. Hopefully between the gasket and the goop it'll remain dry.

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
Amazon e2000 pump. Many option there and run 26-35.00 each. I always carry a spare fwiw.

Edit: this is for external pumps like Timmy390 mentioned above.

L.R.