• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

can i run an efi stock motor without an efi tank?

66broncoluvr

Loc.
St. louis, MO
greeting all,

i want to do my efi swop but dont want to spend the cheese on the 23 gal tank right now. Can it be done with a frame rail pump only? as long as there is a return line to the tank? unless someone reading this has a tank they want to sell alot cheaper than they are asking for one... hopefully optimistic

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sure can. Even Ford did it that way for the first couple of years on the trucks. Not sure cars ever got the external pumps, but the trucks did. The #9791 on this page: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tapered_Roller_Bearing/bronco_rear_axle is a good example.

Lots of people doing that. Even after swapping to a 23g tank even. Usually though, after the frame mounted pump finally gives up the ghost, they go to an internal pump after all.

Paul

Nothing Special

.... Usually though, after the frame mounted pump finally gives up the ghost, they go to an internal pump after all.

Paul

In my case my frame mounted pumps only lasted a few years (I had two die). I ended up going back to a carb and a mechanical fuel pump, but I would recommend an in-tank pump if you can swing it. Being stranded on the side of a freeway with a dead fuel pump wasn't fun either time it happened to me.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Back in the early days of efi swaps guys were running accumulator tanks. I think its for the return. Not sure I'm still running a carb.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Adding to the YES's

Been running EFI on my W for 3 years now. Stock Bronco tank with pump mounted on the cross member at the tank. Return line spliced into the filler neck vent.

No issues thus far......

Tim

Attachments

• 20160929_180136.jpg
    20160929_180136.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 20160929_180242.jpg
    20160929_180242.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 95

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
You can even cut a hole in the top of a fuel tank with a hole saw and put an in tank fuel pump in.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
mine has been run that way for the last 10 years and no issues, pump mounted on the cross member next to the tank

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
You can even cut a hole in the top of a fuel tank with a hole saw and put an in tank fuel pump in.

I essentially did this with my stock tank and haven't had any issues so far. A little bit of head scratching and fabrication, but do-able.

Rocko1012

I followed exactly what Timmy390 did, Just started EFI motor for the first time last week. It was a lot easier than I originally thought. External E2000 fuel pump, fuel line from summit (roll) on frame rail, fittings from EARLS plumbing. It even looks good.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I’ve been running a pusher pump mounted on the cross member and high pressure pump on the frame rail for 8+ years with no issues. As others, return line tee’d into tank vent line. A frame mounted high pressure pump is a lot easier to swap out if needed.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
18+ years on a Bosch frame mounted pump bought new from the local Ford dealer. 23 gallon NWMP tank but could just as easily have used a stock tank, just need to add a return line somewhere.

Until a few weeks ago I also had the original OEM aux tank, I added a return line to the sender unit. Drilled a 3/8" hole in the sender mounting plate, then silver-soldered a stainless steel tube into it. Supported on the inside with a hose clamp to the pickup tube. Worked perfectly, also for 18+ years. That could work on an OEM main tank as well, though it would be easier to put a return fitting on the filler neck.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
I have a stock tank with a bunge welded for a return line. If you pay shipping, I’ll give it to you free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...23 gallon NWMP tank but could just as easily have used a stock tank, just need to add a return line somewhere.

Uh, no...
I think not, with the way you use yours Lars.;D Just how far into the outback on a week's long tour of the badlands do you think you'd get on a total of barely 18gallons between two tanks!:eek:
I've seen your pictures. Not very far!;D

Just kidding. I know you meant the pump. But I when you mentioned stock tank I had to laugh. I can just picture your rig with five extra 5-gal cans hanging off of various appendages.

Paul