• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stainless brake lines or something else?

Lando375

Im planning on replacing all my brake lines and noticed a lot of vendors sell a complete stainless steel hard line kit. After a quick search, I found that a lot of people had problems with them leaking. There was never an update weather they got them to stop or not.

Should I chance it or build my own from NiCopp or something like that?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Only played with the nickle copper stuff once helping a friend. That is some really impressive stuff. It is what I am planning on trying the next time I need to do any work.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
-All I use is copper nickel from Brake connect (https://www.brakeconnect.com/). It is wonderful line to work with and make SAE double/inverted flare (I use hydraulic flaring tool though).
-Stainless is very difficult to work with. I use the plier type line bending tool as well as the vise mount bender.
-One of the easiest ways to form your own custom lines.

Jaybr

Contributor
I used copper nickel on mine as well, very easy to work with for a first timer.

OP
OP
Lando375

Lando375

Thanks guys. I'll probably try the stainless. I love the idea of the NiCopp but I hate that it looks like copper tubing from a big box store.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In my experience, the aftermarket stainless lines are only as good as their flares. If/when the flare isn't perfectly aligned with the axis of the tube and nut, you tend to get leaks in the form of weeping fittings. The issue tends to be worse when running aftermarket hoses with steel brake fittings, as the brass fittings tend to be more compliant, though a lot of the time, you can get the fittings to seal by loosening them and retightening them to the specified torque multiple times in order to get the sealing surfaces to seat fully. What you don't want to do is to over-torque the fittings, as you run the risk of damaging the threads and/or seizing the nuts in the fittings and never getting them apart intact again.

I personally use Ni-Copp lines when I have the choice.

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I used stainless on my '68 GTO convt. Couldn't get them to stop leaking so I yanked them and went to OEM steel.

Just ordered a full OEM hard line kit from Inline Tube for my '69.

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Agree with the simplicity and performance of NiCop. A kit with fittings included is enough for all hardlines in a bronco with spare tubing and fittings at the end.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
So it looks like the majority are either doing pre-made stainless kits that sometimes need a little manipulation to get to seal. Most everyone else who is making there own like is just using the Nickle Copper. With the odd hold out for generic steel.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
So it looks like the majority are either doing pre-made stainless kits that sometimes need a little manipulation to get to seal. Most everyone else who is making there own like is just using the Nickle Copper. With the odd hold out for generic steel.
this. i have stainless from the master to the axles hoses. from that T i have nickel copper. nickel copper is much easier to work with when dealing with custom bends at the axles

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another CuNi user here...I'll never mess with SS lines again.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I did stainless once PIA to work with, leaks and like all Bronco parts almost fits.
I would do Nickle copper