• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Side window vents….wind wings….whatever.

H20rider

I’ve searched “loose”, “floppy”, “repair”, etc. for vent windows, and there is lots of info about springs, tightening the spring retaining bolt, replacing the washers, etc. However, I cannot find a fix for wind wings that remain floppy when the spring bolt does not rotate. If I hold the bolt from below, my vent windows have some play in their open/shut movement. I don’t think the spring bolt that connects to the bottom of the vent window-glass frame is sheared off, because there is only about 15-20 degrees of free rotation. That means that I get free movement of the vent for a couple of inches, then the proper resistance (due to the spring) sets in. Once I let go of the window, it still has 15-20 degrees of rotation but at a new spot in the opening rotation. More concrete explanation: I unlatch the window. It will openn2” without any real resistance. Then if I push it open more, there is proper resistance. Now, letting go of the window, it stays open, but flops around at that ne position.
I have thought about dismantling the vent window, but before embarking on that endeavor, I wanted some idea of what the actual problem might be. Ideas?
Thanks

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How about re-peening the swivel rivet??

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Are you sure the bolt is not broken. I have seen them rusted through yet still work as you discribe.

Bronco-Brian

Contributor
Loc.
Lake Oswego, OR
One other thing to check - the factory washers (upper one limits rotation, bottom one sits against spring) have flats that engage the stud. If someone used std round washers instead, that might explain your looseness issue. But more likely issues is broken stud. See my tech tip on repairing these. Vent Window Repair