• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shocks & springs

Tdrrod661/2cab

Hello,
I just installed TB stock springs & shocks on my 66 1/2 cab.
I also replaced the bushings 0 lift.
Now my drivers side is 3/4 lower than the passenger side?
I really don’t think it was like this prior to the swap.
& I can’t figure out where it’s happening.
Anyone have experience with something like this?
Thank you in advance for any guidance.
Tim

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Look up bronco lean. One of the vendors web sites has a whole article about it.
Basically after new bushings you need to make sure the radius arms are level before reinstall
It is how the radius arms are torqued with the end caps that can cause the difference. You have to make sure they are level on the garage floor then put then in
I sure a lot of people will chime in about it. Unfortunately I’m pretty sure you have to start over

Jiujitsu Bronco

Great advice. My bronco has a new lift kit and is leaning a full 1/12 “. Would it be possible to use coil spring spacers to rectify the situation?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
no, don't use spacers to correct it. Fix the bushing to correct the lean.

When I figured this lean thing out back in about '97 or so, Broncos were 23 yrs newer than now and most of us, not all, but most of us were updating to long travel suspension so we knew if our rig was leaning prior to install.

No lean with our old suspension but when we updated our rigs would lean 1/2" to 1 1/2". Some left, some right. None of us could figure out WTH was going on. lol

When I updated my suspension and was putting my radius arms back in I noticed the ends weren't both touching my shop floor... Hmmmphf I thought. Whatever.

I put it all together and I was leaning to the right... didn't know what the cause was but I remembered the radius arm ends weren't parallel. So I pulled it back apart and noticed that if it was uneven it might (not sure, but might) compress the spring.

So I loosened and tightened the radius arm caps a dozen times, put it together and it sat level. Somehow I had figured it out.

Back then I didn't have a camera on my phone so I couldn't include pics with my "Bronco Lean" article.

There are a DOZEN other things that could cause this but IF all you've done is swap suspension and it didn't lean before and does now it's probably not broken body mounts, etc.