• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shim on the old ball joint?? Last big mechanical work

jasonv

Hi,

I keep forgetting to take pictures but there was a camber shim (I think) under the nut for the top ball joint on one side of my bronco. It looks like an angled washer, taller on one side. I replaced the ball joints, do I need that on there or should I take it off? I put new front end parts, linkages, disk brakes in so I need to take it in to get aligned and need a good starting point.

I have found the center on the steering box what do I do next to get it close enough to drive a few miles to the alignment shop? I have the BC bronco tech note on setting toe in but is there any way but eyeball to get the tires pointed in the right direction?

Thanks,
Jason

Crazyone

Loc.
Aurora
Shim under ball joint nut

The shim you are talking about is used when an angled caster/camber sleeve is screwed into the knuckle when adjusting the alignment. The washers purpose is to provide a flat surface (perpindicular to the BJ shaft) for the nut to tighten down to. If you replaced the screw in sleeve with the one that came with the new ball joint, then you don't need the washer. If you left the old sleeve in the knuckle, then you will need to re-use the washer.

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
I don't know about a ball joint shim or anything like you mention. There are camber shims that you can buy (rock auto has them) that go between the knuckle and the spindle when you bolt the spindle on. You can order them (I think) in 1/8 degree increments. I had to use these on a 77 F-150 with a dana 44 front.

Regarding setting toe-in, I would follow the BC Broncos tech notes you have. As far as getting the steering box straight, get your pitman arm as close to possible to the pic in the BC Broncos "How to Measure For Steering Linkage" tech notes (which is slightly offset to the passenger side I think) and make sure the steering wheel is level. That should get you close enough to drive to the shop.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Did they look like this? https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/...063_0230736732&An=599001+101975+50028+2028004

I'd say that you probably need them as there was probably a reason they were there before. only issue is if you dont know what direction they were installed you could put them in wrong. but its not hard to figure out. All broncos can use some extra caster and those bushings can also adjust camber at the same time so they can be very benefical.

As for adjusting it up to take it to the alginment shop well since the steering box is centered make sure the tires are pointed straight ahead then hook up the darg link to the pitman arm then you can adjust toe in as needed. After that the alginment shop will probably only be able to give you the readings they probably wont adjust a single thing. but definetly get a copy of the readings.

OP
OP
J

jasonv

here it is, it looks like this.

Jason

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 47

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
Im not a huge fan of the ball joint shims. I prefer knuckle camber shims.

$60 From Napaonline.com (Part Number NCP 2641972). They are adjustable from 1/8* - 1 1/2* (+-).

\\--o-// Before

[]--o-[] After

NewImage-1.jpg

Hoochdog

You could attach a bubble angle finder to get an approximate angle. The balljoints would adjust camber and caster, so you always want as much positive caster as you can get and slightly positive 1 to 2 degrees of camber. You can take it too many alignment shops like Goodyear and they will do a free alignment check and not adjust anything, and you could adjust yourself as necessary if you want to save a few dollars.