• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roll cage Question

MikeKC130J

Contributor
Gents, so here is my question before I go and spend 1600 bucks on a 6 pt family roll cage tell me is it some thing I really need. I wont take this bronco out into any type of hill climb competition, maybe play in the mud nothing to crazy a few hills in Texas when I visit my brother but that's about it.
I currently have nothing except the hard top, I might as well be riding around with the top down. should I keep it simple something I can install with the Top on or get the 6pt and say the heck with it. I don't have the cash to blow but I do want my family to be with me as long as possible.
ANY ADVISE IS APPRECIATED. I just don't want to go over board if it is not necessary.
thank you for your time.
Mike

RPM289

It can't hurt to have a cage a 6pt is good as long as it's braced good front to back and side to side. (Most are from vendors) also make sure it ties into frame also and go have fun with the top off riding the trails!

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
In the reading I have done so far it sounds like a cage isn't much good unless you have it secured properly to the frame and not just bolted to the body, as it will rip out in a roll over or punch through. I would think a properly installed cage would make the Bronco much safer. I'm 57. Made it through all the 70's in one piece driving around in the cars of the era, as they came from the factory. Parents stuck us in the very back of the old Galaxy station wagon. Back of pickup beds. Back of a 1 ton truck. No seat belts. No child seats. But am sure some of that is 'when your number is up, it is up' happening.

I plan to install a 4 point roll bar in mine this summer (it is currently sitting in the corner of my shop waiting to be welded together). Currently I just have the hard top, nothing else. I am thinking I will make my cage so it is secured to the frame as recommended by the people on here that are knowledgeable of these things. But, also I am not planning anything wild with the Bronco. I drive fairly defensively and slowly around turns. If I go off road, it is going to be no more than rocky fire roads.

But really, I know if I crash this truck it won't be a good experience, I don't care what roll cage I have installed. I really don't want to crash in anything I drive, so I drive really, really defensively and I turn my friggin phone off while driving. But I am older and grew up without a phone attached to me, so am fine without it. Heck, we had a party line at my house growing up. Older members will remember that.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
A good cage shouldn't cost that much. Bailie Bilt cages are under a grand and very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
A good cage shouldn't cost that much. Bailie Bilt cages are under a grand and very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phred is right- there are a lot of good options under that price- the Bailie cage is nice.

If you go offroad at all- you need a cage. On road, I would still recommend it- the hard top doesn't have enough support to adequately protect passengers in a roll- especially at any speeds...

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
another vote for Bailie, his bolts in and the way its designed does not require tying to the frame, its a WELL tested design and has received some nice letters from folks that have had severe rolls and crashes on the street and survived what otherwise would more than likely been them punching the big ticket.

I'm a fabricator that build's professional level rock crawling and rock racing chassis's and I would run a Bailie built cage without a second thought.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Another vote for the cage, and I would go with Bailie as well. His full family cage will go into my project when I get there.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I have experienced 2 rolls, both on the roof. One in the street one on the trail. You want a roll cage! Hard top offers zero protection. In the street roll I had just a bar. The trail roll was a cage.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
This one is worse. You can always find one that is worse. Roll cage wouldn't help.

Be hard to get happy after this....

car%20smashed_zpsxay5ygwh.jpg

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Bronco Bob cage powdercoated gloss black. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 97

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Another option not mentioned is check around for a local fab shop. They can usually build one custom to your specs for a decent price and no shipping. I already had a welder so I bought a bender for $550 and built 2 family cages for under $150 in material.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I have experienced 2 rolls, both on the roof. One in the street one on the trail. You want a roll cage! Hard top offers zero protection. In the street roll I had just a bar. The trail roll was a cage.
Wow! Was the cage mounted to the floor or frame? How did it hold up? Any photos?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You make a choice to take the risk when offroad. When on the highway and you roll, it may be of no fault of yours but your traveling 30 to 70 MPH. Offroad your traveling maybe 10 MPH. Where do you think your most likely to test your decision? Bad spots off road you have the choice to kick out your passengers and take your own risk and re-evaluate your decisions. Running down the highway you don't have that option. Here in California the powers at be in Caltrans have made the decision to flip you over if you run into their K-rails rather than go through to the other side. This is not a decision I am fond of but the reality we have to live with out here. At the minimum protect your head on the highway.

Digger556

Street rolls are often more violent then off road. Much higher speeds with considerable energy involved.

The FMVSS standard for roof crush protection is something like 3x the unloaded weight of the vehicle pushing on the A-pillar at 25° angle IIRC. That is something like 12,000 lbs for a stockish Bronco. That's considerable force pushing on one corner of the cage. Those numbers come from highway rollover crash data. To achieve a "Good" rating, a vehicle has to withstand 3.5-4x the UVW.
Figure-21-FMVSS-No-216-Test-Device-Orientation-Source-wwwmurphyprachthausercom.png

I'm of the opinion that you buy a cage for the street and it will protect you on the trail.

OP
OP
MikeKC130J

MikeKC130J

Contributor
Wow. Sold thanks folks I will be doing some more educating and installing a rollcage, I appreciate everyone for taking time to reply back to my post a ton of solid information.
Thank you.
Mike

suckerpunched

for the record, my ex brother in law flopped a really nice CJ5 hard on the street. cage was not tied to the frame. unfortunately, it still saved his life.