• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rock Crawling Ford Broncos Through the Rubicon

mitch@wildhorses

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Lodi, CA
Would you believe me if I told you we didn't even get off the WILD HORSES lot before we had our first breakdown? If you've been watching the channel any length of time then you probably wouldn't be surprised but for those who are new, let me fill you in. For us, bad luck is a pretty normal experience. However, even with how true that last statement is, we were not expecting this much bad luck to befall us on our way to the Rubicon trail. Buckle up as the drama unfolds and click the link below to check out the video! And stay tuned for Part 2 in this thread!

https://youtu.be/t6x98lstsEg

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_3537.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_3255.jpg
    IMG_3255.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_3140.jpg
    IMG_3140.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 196

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Always enjoy your videos Mitch and crew! You should have grabbed the tires off Gandalf for the Pitbull to break in.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And I just gotta' say, since it did not make the video edit, that Mitch is also fairly prophetic in things other than vehicle breakdowns. Did you see the part where he said something about an earthquake being next? Well...
The area had a 5.9 (now upgraded to a 6.0) not long after!

So when were you on the trail Mitch? I think the earthquake was Thursday the 8th maybe?

Paul

OP
OP
mitch@wildhorses

mitch@wildhorses

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Lodi, CA
Call us late bloomers but at 18 and 22, Zach and I finally decided to take on the second part of the Rubicon trail with no parental supervision. And like you, we started thinking...It's about freakin time! Check out all the drama unfold on Day 2 of the Rubicon, and stick around to see if Zach and I make it through the trail unscathed!

https://youtu.be/yRXNKIpN-Rs

Attachments

• Rubicon Part 2 Thumb 2021-01.jpg
    Rubicon Part 2 Thumb 2021-01.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3495.jpg
    IMG_3495.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
mitch@wildhorses

mitch@wildhorses

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Lodi, CA
And I just gotta' say, since it did not make the video edit, that Mitch is also fairly prophetic in things other than vehicle breakdowns. Did you see the part where he said something about an earthquake being next? Well...
The area had a 5.9 (now upgraded to a 6.0) not long after!

So when were you on the trail Mitch? I think the earthquake was Thursday the 8th maybe?

Paul

I was on the trail on the 25th haha when you pointed that out, even I was tripping out ;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What a relief! You made it and not stuck somewhere on the side of the trail!
I like that you four decided to make it the full trip to showcase some more of the trail and how it is especially for first-timers. Great group, and thanks to guys like you met when the tire exited the wheel for making these kinds of trips so much fun.
In spite of the dirt and lack of burgers. Or maybe it's more because of the dirt!

Wish I'd been there, but then you'd have had to put up with my grandpa stories about how it was "back in the day" (uphill in the snow both ways and all that) and how much fun it still is. And this way too, you didn't have to put up with me taking out old photographs at each landmark to show how it was way back when too.
Lots of familiar scenery, different people, different days, same fun times.

All I can say is, it's a good thing that the slide projector is too delicate to run the trail, and the projection screen does not fit in the Bronco!
Otherwise I'd still be sittin' there by one of the lakes showing slides to whoever was unlucky enough to drive by!%)

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and great to see Mark again too. Glad you caught up with them. Looks like Buck Island Res. was a sweet place to hang out for awhile.
As always...

Paul

OP
OP
mitch@wildhorses

mitch@wildhorses

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Lodi, CA
Oh, and great to see Mark again too. Glad you caught up with them. Looks like Buck Island Res. was a sweet place to hang out for awhile.
As always...

Paul

That would be epic to see on the trail haha Paul Brannon walking around with a photo book and a projector. Love it!! haha

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Call us late bloomers but at 18 and 22, Zach and I finally decided to take on the second part of the Rubicon trail with no parental supervision. And like you, we started thinking...It's about freakin time! Check out all the drama unfold on Day 2 of the Rubicon, and stick around to see if Zach and I make it through the trail unscathed!

https://youtu.be/yRXNKIpN-Rs

u may need some supervision.. lol j/k

CowboyGrin

Contributor
the circus looks like fun
Loc.
Oklahoma
Mitch: Not wanting to hijack, but what is the Pitbull running for suspension/lift? I’ve always liked its stance and seems to be capable both on and off road. Your videos mentioned the 35” Toyos a few times, but I don’t recall anything about the lift combo or which WH suspension. What wheel width and backspacing/offset combo? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
mitch@wildhorses

mitch@wildhorses

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Lodi, CA
Mitch: Not wanting to hijack, but what is the Pitbull running for suspension/lift? I’ve always liked its stance and seems to be capable both on and off road. Your videos mentioned the 35” Toyos a few times, but I don’t recall anything about the lift combo or which WH suspension. What wheel width and backspacing/offset combo? Thanks in advance.

Forsure! I have a 3.5" WH Suspension lift with a 1" body lift. 35" Toyos(Thinking about going to 37s soon) I have 15" x 12" wheels with a pretty big lip(not sure what the backspacing/offset is on my wheels. I got them from a friend) If I go with 37s, I'll be jumping to a 17" wheel. I've also got 1 1/4" spacers all around.

CowboyGrin

Contributor
the circus looks like fun
Loc.
Oklahoma
Excellent, thanks.

Good luck with the upgrades. 37” are probably too much for my needs, but I’ll be watching to see how it goes for you.