• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rhino liner interior

DirtyDave

I am thinking of installing either a Raptor liner or Rhino liner into the tub of my Bronco to help dampen some of the road and exhaust noise. After talking to a friend that owns a 4x4 shop I found out that this will make the interior much warmer than it was originally. What have been your experience with these products and which one does the best job of controlling noise, heat, etc.. Should I even bother with it or just paint the tub and be done with it. Any other direction I should head?

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I LOVE the raptor-x! Its cheep at $100 a gallon and sprays easly yourself. But i will say that it wont do anything for noise or heat!! Raptor-x can be tinted if needed also which is the route i will take on the interior.

Liners are more for covering up and preventing scratches and chips. I dont believe you will notice any benifit as far as noise or heat goes....i havent.

Sun_and_Steel77

Loc.
Northern BC, Canada
My whole tub is Rhino-Lined.
I don't regret it one bit, and it is awesome for cleaning with the garden hose as everything is sealed. It did help slightly with road drone, and it sure does get toasty on the right leg near the tunnel!
Was a bit of a headache to find the bolts when it came time to install the body lift :D

OP
OP
D

DirtyDave

Thanks for the help. I guess if it helps control the drone it would be an added benefit. I think the biggest thing is the rust prevention and ease of cleaning. I'm going to have to do a little work to quite it up some more.

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
One thing I have noticed at 115 degrees ambient temperature.... I can NOT touch the rollbar without burns.... I can lay my hand flat on the Raptor Liner all day long..........

OP
OP
D

DirtyDave

How much liner did you use to get a nice thick coat over the entire tub? Does one gallon get it done?

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
4 of the black, and one of the mixer and it came with the spray gun from TCPGlobal for around $100.00 If you are going to do any other (wheel wells or undercarriage) I would get one more kit. One of the things I love about the Raptor liner is it's not thick like LINEX or RHINOLINER. It's an even coat, seals well and seems durable once it fully dries. Be sure to do your prep work well.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189745&highlight=raptor+liner

and

http://www.emotoman.com/4x4/2011/raptor2/

http://www.emotoman.com/4x4/2011/raptortim/

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
One kit should do it. I got two kits for my underside and ended up using only 5 of the 8 quarts on the bottom. The inside is about the same area. Its always nice to have extra around for other stuff. I still have the 3 quarts and a unused gun for later down the road. i might do my inside orange and speckle it with some black.

Like said above TCPGlobal is the cheepest you will find anyware!

Also i shot raptor on my front bumper to see how well it holds up...so far real nice and hasnt even dulled from the UV.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
The main benfit to bed liner is protecting the metal from dings and scratches. ANYTHING after that is gravy. We used to have peolpe come in and demand "undercoating" to reduce rock noise on gravel roads. (in the 80's) The noise reduction was minimal and the intended purpose of the stuff was to reduce the impact of rocks on the underbody. It was high tech. back then. (tar based and only hung on for a couple of years) Thank God it has evloved into the products we have available today. Using today's liners is for ding/scratch protection, ease of cleaning, and keeping the floor boards/box from rusting inside out.

JRED

I sprayed lizard skin on the underside of the tub. I masked everything off and it came out great. No heat issues at all. Floor is not even warm.