• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing 170 straight six with 351W - What do I keep?

sixtynine

Loc.
Malabar, Florida
I have a rust bucket '69 Bronco with a 170 straight 6. It has the three speed tranny and a 4:11 rear end. I plan to replace it with a 351W and am considering putting a 5-speed tranny behind it. What is the best overall tranny to put behind it? Are there any tech writeups on this swap? I would just like to get an idea of what I am getting into.

Thanks,

Jeff

grauerfam

Loc.
Owings Mills,MD
Jeff, the 351W is a great choice, lots of low end power. As for a 5 speed, there are two paths to take; daily driver/ light wheelin - NV3550, or heavy duty/ radical wheelin - NV4500 or the ZF. Check the tech section for more info.

BlackHorse

As for the what do I keep part the answer is just about nothing. Let's see don't keep the
radiator
motor;D
trans/bell housing
frame welded motor mounts
flywheel/clutch
trans adapter

You can keep that frame mounted clutch pivot deal it's the same on the V8.
You'll like the 351.

OP
OP
S

sixtynine

Loc.
Malabar, Florida
Thanks!

That's more or less what I thought. I figured that I would be replacing everything. I'll be on the lookout for either an NV3550 or NV4500. I'll probably just get whatever I can pick up locally or most inexpensively.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
If you go with the ZF you can take that too the ZF has a hydraulic clutch.

You can keep that frame mounted clutch pivot deal it's the same on the V8.
You'll like the 351.[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
S

sixtynine

Loc.
Malabar, Florida
ZF as a replacement tranny

I like the ZF and it would be my first choice if is was equivalent in price and complexity to install to the NV4500, but from what I have read, the ZF is much more difficult and more expensive and also heavier. Any thoughts on this? I am just nervous about sinking money into this Bronco and it possibly becoming too expensive to finish because of all the things I have to add or change. I can just imagine that the shopping list never ends.

I have considered getting that '76 Bronco on eBay with no title (but power steering and front disks!) and just rebuilding the 302 in it and keeping the 3-speed and using the title from my rust bucket. I could probably get it for less than a grand and have it trucked down to Florida for about $400. That would be extremely difficult to explain to my wife however!

I appreciate all the help!

Jeff