• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing 1966 Dana 30 front carrier/differential

Tonyduc

I need to replace inner and outer seals on my Dana 30, Bronco is leaking on the front left side. I've seen a lot of info on removing everything up to the axels, however the only info I can find on dropping the differential (carrier) is regarding a Jeep https://youtu.be/5DijgyyqZb0, from this video the differential just drops out. Any tips on dropping the 66 Bronco front differential is much appreciated.

The 1966 Bronco shop manual mentions shims and preload but is this really an issue on the front differential ? It is a street only Bronco that will never use the fwd, I just want to stop the gear oil leaking.

Thanks
Tony

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Be sure to either mark your bearing caps or take pics before removing them. Keep track of shims on either side if present, I've seen some on the outside of the bearing and some put them on the inside, you just never know what you'll find in there. You'll most likely have to pry the carrier out, don't let it hit the shop floor when/if it decides to go. In all the 30 and 44 carriers I've pulled, I've never needed a case spreader as of yet. Your drum brake 66 30 won't be as simple to remove the axle shafts as in that video, just a heads up lol.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As long as all the original parts go back in the same place they came out of you don't need to setup anything. Take it out and put it back in.

Caps are specific to the case and which side of the case. Generally you put a punch mark on one cap and a matching punch mark on the case. The other cap gets 2 punch marks. This way the caps will go back on correctly. No swapping sides or flipped over.

A case spreader is the ideal tool. Most shops don't even have one. Don't expect a one time home mechanic to have one or even access to such a specialty tool. Good thing is you don't need it, just a nice to have tool. To get the carrier out, run a rag between the ring and pinion. Soft enough to not hurt the gears, solid enough to push the ring gear away and eject the carrier out the front.