• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Recovery that didnt go as planned, lessons to be learned.....

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Not me fortunately and that guy was almost a statistic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240305_195050_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_195050_Facebook.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 77

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Guy looks messed up. I tried skimming it... too long. But the guy was using a Bubba type rope?? and something didn't work?

Snow wheeling when yanking guys out. You can never just idle up, pull the strap tight and give it gas because you'll go straight down. So we've always backed up bumper to bumper and nailed it as hard as we can often just to get the guy to move a foot or so...

We always ask each other how hard to hit it as "&^@$" can happen-

I have ripped a rear bumper clear off with yanks

I have pulled a rear Bronco bumper off so it pivoted and the spare tire went thru the rear window with yanks

I have bent Bronco rear frame rails together over an inch as the ProFab rear bumper pulled back (it bent) and bent the rails in (it was less than a month old) with yanks
Edit-

I used a 30' tow strap till 4 yrs ago when I bought my first Bubba strap. From the looks of the guys face I'd better see what caused the accident. We never let anybody stand around within striking distance, we always use 2 coats on winch cable.

90% of the time I am crouched down behind the strg wheel so I can barely see out the windshield if I'm strapping or winching from the front. I always try to turn around just from the 40 yrs of running D44's and the stress that the frt end is under, so I always try to strap from the rear and just look out one of 3 mirrors and use radios or phones for communication

Last edited:

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
One of the top rules when off-roading is to never leave the guy behind you. It sounds like he was rushing things so he could catch back up with his group. Where were all his "buddies" during the entire time this is going on?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Never separate unless there's no choice.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Lot of what ifs. Sucks to see. Hast is never good, all recoveries are dangerous. Leaving people is never acceptable, unless the group is large and the group decides that it is acceptable to split and meet at a predetermined location later, but even then not left with just one vehicle, things happen and go awry or not as planned.

nvrstuk

Contributor
100% Steve

One or even two rigs split off and things can go South faster than one can imagine!

We sled and wander all over and always, always meet back where we last ALL were gathered last. Easy to follow a track and we all carry the same long distance radios, same frequency. I have converted 3 TS guys this season to do this for safety. "Herd" safety :)

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’ve only had one 8,000# winch (Warn 8274-8724???) with steel cable. Always used a snatch block. Always feared a cable failure. Sold winch with EB. Don’t have any interest in installing winch on this one, but if I did, it would have the synthetic rope.

Randy

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
TLDR version? What broke that sent the rope (and heavy metal object of some kind) flying?

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
TLDR version? What broke that sent the rope (and heavy metal object of some kind) flying?
Crappy soft shackle from Amazon attached to the jeep side. Also had it on possible sharp edges instead of through D ring.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
I think he hit the hi points pretty well.
Workin alone w/tension, logs and vehicles has surfaced the same few points. Number one (in sequence of errors and avoidance of danger) is 'attitude change'. Any off road or off trail point is a wake up call for that change & move to plodding methodology. Equipment and how used are second. (He added communication). Not mentioned is 1 I’m aware of due to tiredness. That’s ‘end of day’. Most stuff I’ve seen is at end of day. Take care around this. Sometimes I’ve had premonitions and ended early for safety. Fun is not 1st. It comes 2nd after safety. (“Oh, but I’m a big grown man”, or “expert”. “So dont have to think abt that.”) uhh, right...
Fun comes cuz U believe its safe. Make sure it is (in fact) not just cuz U believe it. bumper sticker: “Dont believe every thing U think."

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
I would have never thought that the rope itself would go through the windshield. Metal yes. Someone died around a year ago when a drop hitch broke off at the receiver, came through the windshield, bent the steering wheel and then hit him. It was really sad in that his family was in the vehicle when it happened. This video brings up a lot of good points if you listen through.

I had some experience with “dynamic rope” years ago when the Bronco was young. You could buy nylon rope at farm stores etc. Found some info on how to braid the ends. Made a smaller one for Bronco and Pickup. Just a loop on the ends. The bigger one for use with a tractor had metal eyes in the ends to give it more strength as it didn’t have a sharp bend in the rope. Little did I know what could happen back then. One day pulling a tree down I pulled a little too hard. Got lucky in that the rope broke away from the spliced end. The rope shot under the the tractor at what seemed like the speed of sound. Chucked that rope. The smaller one eventually broke from use. Not as violent but I had started wrapping a coat or burlap bag around it. The rope back then was just a twisted braid that tended to twist and untwist when you pulled. I think they eventually would wear out from the friction.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
one plastic took off a home owner observer’s cap ona yard job (my dad). I kept w/steel rope there after. Still it’s no guarntee for the foolishness of un-safe practices. To me the lightness of the plastic is not worth it. I’m not as familiar w/it, most the new tech I dont understand (‘soft shackles’ etc) so stick w/the proven. Call me uninformed and ol skol. I’ll agree~

Last edited:

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Guy looks messed up. I tried skimming it... too long. But the guy was using a Bubba type rope?? and something didn't work?

Snow wheeling when yanking guys out. You can never just idle up, pull the strap tight and give it gas because you'll go straight down. So we've always backed up bumper to bumper and nailed it as hard as we can often just to get the guy to move a foot or so...

We always ask each other how hard to hit it as "&^@$" can happen-

I have ripped a rear bumper clear off with yanks

I have pulled a rear Bronco bumper off so it pivoted and the spare tire went thru the rear window with yanks

I have bent Bronco rear frame rails together over an inch as the ProFab rear bumper pulled back (it bent) and bent the rails in (it was less than a month old) with yanks
Edit-

I used a 30' tow strap till 4 yrs ago when I bought my first Bubba strap. From the looks of the guys face I'd better see what caused the accident. We never let anybody stand around within striking distance, we always use 2 coats on winch cable.

90% of the time I am crouched down behind the strg wheel so I can barely see out the windshield if I'm strapping or winching from the front. I always try to turn around just from the 40 yrs of running D44's and the stress that the frt end is under, so I always try to strap from the rear and just look out one of 3 mirrors and use radios or phones for communication
So I was wondering about the rear bumper mounts (ProtoFab), it just doesn't seem like there is a lot of meat where the cups attach to the frame in back. I am considering how to strengthen it.

-JB

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Amazon soft shackle failed…supposedly rated to handle the rope. He first thought was he cut his artery as he was bleeding pretty good. Turned out he had a nasty gash under his chin. I wonder if that could have been from glass but I don’t think he knew. His neck was hurting but turned out it was rope burn. Right shoulder was badly bruised. All from the rope only…no flying metal! 1” rope mentioned as bigger than needed FWIW.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Some of the what ifs I mentioned was it was a used shackle. Was it chaffed or damaged before? was there an edge that it was pull over this time or last time? has it spent 2 years baking in the sun? lots of what ifs. imagine there was a 4# piece of steel on the end of that, it would have went through the back glass too. It comes down to recoveries are always dangerous, you not only need to know and trust your own equipment but anyone else involved as well. I just tossed 3 soft shackles for just looking tattered last week, well sort of, moved them to the 4 wheeler not a lot of risk with a 700# machine LOL.

nvrstuk

Contributor
So I was wondering about the rear bumper mounts (ProtoFab), it just doesn't seem like there is a lot of meat where the cups attach to the frame in back. I am considering how to strengthen it.

-JB
My rear bumper (over built like everything lol) extends into my frame over 11" on both sides. 3 bolts each side attach it to the frame. Nuts are welded into my bumper tubing that slip fits inside the frame tubing 11".

I can't remember anything about the style of the PF bumper other than my friend told me a week after we were snow bashing what had happened. He was shocked that his frame rails had bent. Lot of force happening for sure after 6 or 8 tries and it doesn't move... just keep getting a longer run at it each time! lol

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Some of the what ifs I mentioned was it was a used shackle. Was it chaffed or damaged before? was there an edge that it was pull over this time or last time? has it spent 2 years baking in the sun? lots of what ifs. imagine there was a 4# piece of steel on the end of that, it would have went through the back glass too. It comes down to recoveries are always dangerous, you not only need to know and trust your own equipment but anyone else involved as well. I just tossed 3 soft shackles for just looking tattered last week, well sort of, moved them to the 4 wheeler not a lot of risk with a 700# machine LOL.
I don’t remember him saying it was worn but it was a long video. 😧 Didn’t really come to a conclusion. Was‘nt in a D-ring just through the hole. The protective sheath was still in the bumper and he didn’t think it looked damaged but the soft shackle looked pretty torn up. Also did some damage to his bumper. Broke some bolts and bent some of it.