• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Thickness of a business card 😂

I honestly don't remember, a business card is all my Grandpa ever used as a feeler gauge on points, I'll never forget that. He used a dime to check gap on plugs.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Thickness of a business card 😂

I honestly don't remember, a business card is all my Grandpa ever used as a feeler gauge on points, I'll never forget that. He used a dime to check gap on plugs.
I didn’t smoke but always kept a match book in the truck along with a spare set of points. Guess we’re getting old.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, matchbooks for gapping (and lighting firecrackers when necessary of course), golf pins (correct term? Golf tees!) for plugging vacuum hoses when working on things, paper-clips for removing ignition switches, spark plugs with half the threads filed off to act as thread-chasers for cleaning during a tune-up, and all sorts of other things you can think of to list here.
Rags, zip ties, bezel nut tools, extra coil wires, light bulbs, magnetic pickup tools...

So what did you all keep in your tool boxes?

Paul

Lawndart

Loc.
53119368104_d11da84e67_b.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was that a rhetorical question? :)
Since I wonder how many people actually have a dwell meter anymore?
I do, but it’s been so long since I have used it, I don’t know if it even works anymore!
Old tools never die. They just slowly fade to the bottom of the box.😩

But if they do have a meter, the number is right there to the left, at 27°.
Look for it in a dwell meter near you.

And by the way, Mike. With all the work you do, or have needed to do on your bronco, you really should have one of the shop manuals.
Looks like that chart above was taken right out of a Chiltons.
The 66 to 73 version by the look of it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My last engine that still has points is my boat. Mostly due to unicorn boat parts. I know that engine is sensitive to dwell. At least it was. Still have the points in it, but they trigger a TFI module and matching E-core coil. Way better spark. And the points only need to be set somewhere around 50% duty cycle. Exact setting doesn't matter anymore.