• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pipe + welding experts: Gotta mod my cage

chuzie

Bronco Guru
The cage I purchased was not designed well at all! The C-hoop is too tall and prevents use of my soft top. I'm looking for the best / least painful way to modify from all you experts out there.

I have plenty of cutoff wheels and the plasma to help and I plan to sleeve whatever is cut on the hoop.

The two fore/aft connectors on the top may present an issue and end up too short if I lower the C-hoop, but I could be wrong.
My other concern is cutting the angled section of the hoop may force the vertical section forward.

As of now, the top of the hoop is about 42-1/4" above my floor and I'm guessing I'll need to lower it by at least an inch or two.

Any suggestion on how best to attack?

20220308_154156.jpg

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you're talking lowering the rear bar of the cage low enough that the soft top bowl fold down your gonna defeat the purpose of a family cage. It will put the rear bar lower than the head of any rear seat passengers.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
If you're talking lowering the rear bar of the cage low enough that the soft top bowl fold down your gonna defeat the purpose of a family cage. It will put the rear bar lower than the head of any rear seat passengers.
Plenty of family cages out there that run a full soft top with rear seating and no issues. I don't care about the bow folding down. The issue is the C-hoop prevents the bow from lowering enough for the soft top to engage the side or rear channels.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Could you cut like an inch off the B and 1.5" off C pillar and let it shorten?

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I built my first ever cage and made the same mistake your guy did.

I had to remove 2 inches where I marked the blue X on yours to let the C pillar fall in and lower for the hard top to fit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220308-210359_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220308-210359_Chrome.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I built my first ever cage and made the same mistake your guy did.

I had to remove 2 inches where I marked the blue X on yours to let the C pillar fall in and lower for the hard top to fit.
Good idea. Eliminates the need to cut and sleeve the hoop and only requires minor modifications to supports and feet.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
That’s a tricky one because of all the angles! How about bending right behind the b hoop. If you cut the c hoop lower plate and shortened the tube could you tweak the slight bend in the c hoop enough to keep the mounting location the same? The brace however, is gonna be a pain…it could be made to match up but trimming it off and getting it to fit back in would be a real pain. Also likely take a couple people with rosette tips to get the front bar to bend even though it wouldn’t take a lot for 2”.

Scott

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Put quick release pins in the lower pivots of the bow tubes. drop the top pull the pins finish dropping the top and put the pins back in. takes a few second longer to drop the top.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Put quick release pins in the lower pivots of the bow tubes. drop the top pull the pins finish dropping the top and put the pins back in. takes a few second longer to drop the top.
That would certainly solve the issue of bow not lowering past the C-hoop, but the real issue is the inability to lower the bow enough to allow the soft top to engage the channels on the bed rails and tailgate.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
What soft top are you trying to fit? Looking at the pic wondering if the bc top would clear. I know it isn't the cheapest option but you would end up with a better top and your cage intact. Where are you located? You may be able to meet up with another member and take some measurements.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Whatever the WH top of choice was years ago. STC I believe.

BC top is too nice for the abuse I throw at my rig. For that price, I'd just buy a new cage.

I'm in Seattle.

martinphoto

Take your top to a local upholstery shop and have them ad the difference you need to secure the top to bed rails, tailgate etc. Probably quickest cheapest option.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
cut what interferes and make it work. its not going to do it by staring at it. so time to get to work. i would start by cutting off the rear hoop and start from there.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Good call my friend. Worked like a charm. Problem fixed. Thanks