• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinions on Dana 44 carrier needed

Lando375

I'm upgraded my Dana 44 with some new gears and axle shafts. The D44 isn't being built for rock crawling and may one see some trails that a 2 wheel drive can do. I was leaning on an getting a new open carrier for some 4.56 gears but I thought I'd spend a little more and get a factory style Spicer trac-loc.

I'd love to hear some options. Since it's never really going off road should I just get the open carrier, the trac-lok, or something else?

Thanks

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Tru-trak is stronger option for a limited slip. Big tires Can be hard on the stock carrier. I'm guessing yore running 35s judging by your gear choice

OP
OP
Lando375

Lando375

Tru-trak is stronger option for a limited slip. Big tires Can be hard on the stock carrier. I'm guessing yore running 35s judging by your gear choice

33"s with but I'm running a 4r70w

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I'm upgraded my Dana 44 with some new gears and axle shafts. The D44 isn't being built for rock crawling and may one see some trails that a 2 wheel drive can do. I was leaning on an getting a new open carrier for some 4.56 gears but I thought I'd spend a little more and get a factory style Spicer trac-loc.

I'd love to hear some options. Since it's never really going off road should I just get the open carrier, the trac-lok, or something else?

Thanks
trac lok is a pile of crap, and I throw them away every chance I get.

It does not provide traction, and it does not lock. It is a weaker case than the open carrier, and they break ALL THE TIME. I won;t install one, and if I do...there is no wararanty.

I'm baffled that you would consider getting a new open carrier??? I assume that means that you have an open carrier now, and you just don't like it?

If you buy Dana 44 gears in 4.56 for a 2003-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon...they are "thick" and will run with your old 3.50 carrier.

If you want to spend money, the true trac is well liked. I am a fan of the Power-Lock and since they are being reproduced...prices are much more stable.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
in the front i have run a tru-trak for 20 years 350 carrier , thick cut gears for my 33 x 12.5-15 never has left me down wishing for something elese

OP
OP
Lando375

Lando375

trac lok is a pile of crap, and I throw them away every chance I get.

It does not provide traction, and it does not lock. It is a weaker case than the open carrier, and they break ALL THE TIME. I won;t install one, and if I do...there is no wararanty.

I'm baffled that you would consider getting a new open carrier??? I assume that means that you have an open carrier now, and you just don't like it?

If you buy Dana 44 gears in 4.56 for a 2003-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon...they are "thick" and will run with your old 3.50 carrier.

If you want to spend money, the true trac is well liked. I am a fan of the Power-Lock and since they are being reproduced...prices are much more stable.

I can't run the factory open carrier because I purchased 30 spline axle shafts. I'd have to change out the spider gears to get it to work. They are almost the cost of a new carrier and I'd still have to get the thick cut gears.

Mark1911

I have run spicer tru-trac in front and rear 44s with excellent results and no issues, 33 inch tires and 4:56 gears with 4r70 is perfect in my opinion.

mark

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I can't run the factory open carrier because I purchased 30 spline axle shafts. I'd have to change out the spider gears to get it to work. They are almost the cost of a new carrier and I'd still have to get the thick cut gears.
Every Dana 44 that was ever put into a Bronco came with 1.31 inch diameter, 30 spline inner shafts. Your existing carrier was 30 spline when it left the factory.

OP
OP
Lando375

Lando375

Every Dana 44 that was ever put into a Bronco came with 1.31 inch diameter, 30 spline inner shafts. Your existing carrier was 30 spline when it left the factory.

Well that solves my dilemma. For some reason I was thinking it was 28 like the back. If the stock carrier will work I'll just use that with the thick cut gears.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Well that solves my dilemma. For some reason I was thinking it was 28 like the back. If the stock carrier will work I'll just use that with the thick cut gears.
OK, but that's not the direction I would go. Unless you are doing it yourself, for the time, expense, and trouble of doing the gear swap and axle shaft change...I would buy that "open box" Eaton 913A589 truetrac on ebay for $391.00 and get a set of gears that fit it.

Or I would buy a new power lock for about $400, and a used low pinion gear set. (or a new SVL gearset in 4.55. Wouldn't do 4.56 new.) By the way, the SVL catalog is wrong on their 4.56 listing. (41/9 = 4.555 = 4.56) and (50/11 = 4.545 = 4.55)

I don't have a dog in the hunt...I just didn't want you to make decisions based on bad info.

OP
OP
Lando375

Lando375

OK, but that's not the direction I would go. Unless you are doing it yourself, for the time, expense, and trouble of doing the gear swap and axle shaft change...I would buy that "open box" Eaton 913A589 truetrac on ebay for $391.00 and get a set of gears that fit it.

Or I would buy a new power lock for about $400, and a used low pinion gear set. (or a new SVL gearset in 4.55. Wouldn't do 4.56 new.) By the way, the SVL catalog is wrong on their 4.56 listing. (41/9 = 4.555 = 4.56) and (50/11 = 4.545 = 4.55)

I don't have a dog in the hunt...I just didn't want you to make decisions based on bad info.

Thanks for the info. After weighing all my options, I'll probably just get a new Eaton truetrac. Buy once cry once! Thanks again.

Jaybr

Contributor
Not that I've got it back on the road yet, but when I had my D44 rebuilt I went 456 and trutrac, also installed new chromoly shafts. I'm running 33's and have a 4r70w going in.

based on the advice I got here it should be a good setup

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga

I'm not well-versed with True-Trac interchange but the Eaton catalog doesn't list the 913A589 as compatible with Ford Dana 44s, I just wanted to double check that this one will work in our D44s. I might have a line on one, and don't want to spend the money if it won't work. Thanks in advance for the info!

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I'm not well-versed with True-Trac interchange but the Eaton catalog doesn't list the 913A589 as compatible with Ford Dana 44s, I just wanted to double check that this one will work in our D44s. I might have a line on one, and don't want to spend the money if it won't work. Thanks in advance for the info!
Well, that's a great observation, and worthy of contacting Eaton / Detroit directly. If you look at the online application catalog, you will see that the 913A589 is listed for the Dana 44 in the 77-79 Ford. But they specify the 913A591 for the 70-82 Ford. The interesting thing is that they show the Exact same Detroit Locker part number for both applications. So there is something special going on with the True Trac.

I was guessing that it has something to do with the stub axle in the Ford 80-96 Dana 44 IFS. I do know that they use the 913A589 in the jeep from 71-06, but the Chevy gets the 913A591 from 67-80. So it's worth a call.

Attachments

• truetrac.jpg
    truetrac.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Well, that's a great observation, and worthy of contacting Eaton / Detroit directly. If you look at the online application catalog, you will see that the 913A589 is listed for the Dana 44 in the 77-79 Ford. But they specify the 913A591 for the 70-82 Ford. The interesting thing is that they show the Exact same Detroit Locker part number for both applications. So there is something special going on with the True Trac.

I was guessing that it has something to do with the stub axle in the Ford 80-96 Dana 44 IFS. I do know that they use the 913A589 in the jeep from 71-06, but the Chevy gets the 913A591 from 67-80. So it's worth a call.
So after a little bit of Web Sleuthing...it looks like the Truetrac is (sometimes) specified differently for front vs rear applications.

So if you have a Front Dana 44, you get the 913A591. If you run a D44 in the rear, you get the 913A589. General consensus is that the bias ratio for the front is reduced so that it is less noticeable. Evidently there are many people that run the "tighter" rear truetrac in the front. The Eaton application guide is written for children...and assumes that you can't differentiate the difference between a front and a rear axle.

There is also a group of web detectives that believe the helix on the worm gears inside the truetrac have a different profile from front to rear. Much like a ring and pinion, it is entirely possible that there is a "drive" side, and a "coast" side of the worm gear. If this is true, then the truetrac will behave "differently" in forward vs reverse. Also, much like your ring and pinion...you can't tell there is a difference between forward and reverse. You think that your axle gears work the same forward and backwards. But it doesn't. In reverse, you run on the coast side of the tooth. If you put a low pinion axle in the front...like the Early Bronco 44...you run on the coast side of the tooth when driving forward. It's weaker, and it puts more load on the smaller pinion bearing, but few people notice.

The only way for me to KNOW whether the TrueTrac runs a reverse helix angle, or just a different worm ratio is for me to have both of them open on a bench side by side. (and that won't happen any time soon.) The marketing literature from TracTech / Eaton / Detroit is sufficiently obscure, such that no reasonable person can divine this information.

This is usually the time when I stop caring, and just let it go. But hopefully someone that knows more about the truetrac can chime in.