• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Old Bronco Owner, New Member, Dumb Question

danmcph

Loc.
Idaho Falls, ID
In High School (Class of '96) I had a '74 Bronco. I grew up in Moab Utah so I four wheeled it almost every day. I used that Bronco harder than most Bronco's ever get driven and I loved it. I sold it to pay for college and have wanted one ever since.

I have been looking at the prices to purchase one and also parts availability. It looks like you can purchase every part on the vehicle in new condition at this point from the frame all the way up.

What would be the reason other than having a factory VIN to not just start with ordering a new frame and building it from there finishing up with a vehicle made from all new parts?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
It depends on the State and county you live in and what their rules are... You also need to find someone who really knows the rules, my experience has been that you can visit/call the DMV and get multiple answers to your question. It could be as simple as having them assign a new Vin# to the new Frame and build from there. Or it could be a pain in the backside, like having them claiming it is a new vehicle and wanting you to pay new car Reg fees. Suggest you also talk to your Insurance company and ask them about what you would like to do and the costs...

Here is California it would be a pain in the Butt to do what you suggest...

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
This doesn't answer your question but there is a good thread on here detailing the build cost using new parts. It was pretty comprehensive. I can't remember his handle, but I think it had mustang in it.

Dne007

Contributor
I live in Texas, they didn't even ask about Vin except what was on my title. No inspections. Even if they did look, someone would have to know where to look. My numbers were just about worn off looking, but they matched the glove box and Title. However, if one got a new frame, why couldn't the owner just stamp the numbers on the new frame? Then cover with paint. The one by the engine is easier to make out, but still takes a good light and cleaning off the area.

Attachments

• Bronco vin numberc.jpg
    Bronco vin numberc.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 28
  • Bronco vin number.jpg
    Bronco vin number.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 26

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I followed Jason and Jonie Builds (You Tube), they didn't start completely new but it felt like it. Absent the registration issue(s) and the cost, not really sure why not. Toms has a rolling chassis, motor, transmission, etc, etc for about $45,000. That would be a great starting point if I was going that direction.

mebco09

because even in todays market you can buy very nice broncos in the 45-65K range and starting from zero would add a rediculous amount to that.

L.R.
Yes to this...

The small parts kill your budget.

I bought a stalled frame-off restoration.

I started with a painted tub, frame and crates of disassembled parts. Thought I had most things, but I've probably made 30 different orders to vendors for simple things I was missing and at least that many to the local hardware store for misc. Fasteners, bolts, etc.

I dont want to know how much I'm into it, but without paint, body, frame, it's probably $40k. Those 3 items are probably another $40k.

You can get a pretty nice bronco for $80k.