• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Stories - An Old Man and His Bronco

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted in 2011, thought I would share again:

I was moving my mom into an assisted living complex the other day and as I was unloading some of mom’s stuff from my Bronco he rolled up to me in his motorized wheelchair, patted the bumper and asked if it had a 6 or a V8. He must've been ~90 years old. I told him V8, then he asked what year; I told him ’69 then I asked if he used to have one (which I knew from his expression, kind of lit-up) that he did. He said yes but forgot what year; his had a 6 he recalled. I told him it was probably a ’66 through ’68.

He then went on to tell me a story about how he once was out in Eastern Oregon 4-wheelin’ in the desert driving over lava rock. We both were transported back in time some 45 years as he rambled on. At one point he said he bottomed out on a large rock and punctured his gas tank. His expression was priceless. He had this dream-like look on his face as he explained in great detail how he got out and stuck a stick in the hole and then headed home as quickly as he could. He said that when he hit the pavement he floored it, still had a ways to go and eventually got within ~100’ of his driveway… big smile on his face, I laughed and congratulated him and his Bronco.

We talked a little more about his Bronco and then he said good bye and wheeled on down the sidewalk. I just stood there dumbfounded. I didn’t even think to ask him his name; but I know I’ll see him again soon; it’s not a very big place. I’ll have to take him for a drive and reminisce some more.

Mikes Early Bronco

Contributor
Oily Driveway Guy

I was moving my mom into an assisted living complex the other day and as I was unloading some of mom’s stuff from my Bronco he rolled up to me in his motorized wheelchair, patted the bumper and asked if it had a 6 or a V8. He must've been ~90 years old. I told him V8, then he asked what year; I told him ’69 then I asked if he used to have one (which I knew from his expression, kind of lit-up) that he did. He said yes but forgot what year; his had a 6 he recalled. I told him it was probably a ’66 through ’68.

He then went on to tell me a story about how he once was out in Eastern Oregon 4-wheelin’ in the desert driving over lava rock. We both were transported back in time some 45 years as he rambled on. At one point he said he bottomed out on a large rock and punctured his gas tank. His expression was priceless. He had this dream-like look on his face as he explained in great detail how he got out and stuck a stick in the hole and then headed home as quickly as he could. He said that when he hit the pavement he floored it, still had a ways to go and eventually got within ~100’ of his driveway… big smile on his face, I laughed and congratulated him and his Bronco.

We talked a little more about his Bronco and then he said good bye and wheeled on down the sidewalk. I just stood there dumbfounded. I didn’t even think to ask him his name; but I know I’ll see him again soon; it’s not a very big place. I’ll have to take him for a drive and reminisce some more.
Great story! I think events like this are what fuel the Bronco spirit. I live in a location where folks, wise we’ll beyond my years, walk by the house. Quite a few have stopped to talk, while working on my 77. I’ll put every tool down to listen as they reminisce about their old trucks or cars. Many have had a Bronco or two. They stop by and leave me old photos and postcards like the ones attached. That’s what fuels me to finish this build.

Attachments

• IMG_0476.png
    IMG_0476.png
    496 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0477.png
    IMG_0477.png
    582 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0478.png
    IMG_0478.png
    652.1 KB · Views: 21

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great story! I think events like this are what fuel the Bronco spirit. I live in a location where folks, wise we’ll beyond my years, walk by the house. Quite a few have
Great story! I think events like this are what fuel the Bronco spirit. I live in a location where folks, wise we’ll beyond my years, walk by the house. Quite a few have stopped to talk, while working on my 77. I’ll put every tool down to listen as they reminisce about their old trucks or cars. Many have had a Bronco or two. They stop by and leave me old photos and postcards like the ones attached. That’s what fuels me to finish this build.

stopped to talk, while working on my 77. I’ll put every tool down to listen as they reminisce about their old trucks or cars. Many have had a Bronco or two. They stop by and leave me old photos and postcards like the ones attached. That’s what fuels me to finish this build.

Mark, that's a great story! Thanks for posting it again!