• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OEM Ford Bronco Distributor Test Data

snoddas

Hi Guys,
Probably should dyno the engine instead of work with the distributor. Anyway, for long time I have been thinking of let my friend check and test my distributor.

Get it back for a while ago.

Thought it may be interesting.

/Anders

Attachments

• 1FEECFCF-3EE7-4B37-BA05-654B6F95FCA9.jpg
    1FEECFCF-3EE7-4B37-BA05-654B6F95FCA9.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 6C545D18-B73D-42CE-A85E-B8B9C73FC415.jpg
    6C545D18-B73D-42CE-A85E-B8B9C73FC415.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 15932469-E3AA-4865-884C-B136D5ABB815.jpg
    15932469-E3AA-4865-884C-B136D5ABB815.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
snoddas

snoddas

Cool, not many people do this anymore. Did he do any adjustments or is that the curve you started with?

Its after cleaning, check internals and lubricate. It pretty much was alright as is.

Thanks/Anders

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Distributor machines are fun and a great aid in setting up a distributor. You may want to read this';https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/03/timing/index.php article from Ford Muscle Magazine. It provides a goal you can pursue in making a good centrifugal advance curve. An advance curve spring kit from Mr.Gasket or Crane work well with the machine to quickly do a re-curve.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or, send it to ignition engineering in Ca to curve or recurve it. They did mine works great. 10 years ago I scoured ebay and such for any old reliable distributor tuning machines, none to be found.

OP
OP
snoddas

snoddas

Thanks for the reply's

Unsure if the springs was replaced but I am assume its as is.
Stock 1974 Ford distributor. Works great and hard to tell if it made any difference but as mention - great to know.

Cheers!

jckkys

Bronco Guru
If you have access to a distributor machine and a guide to the best curve, the only other thing needed are reduced power springs. Those, and an adjustable vacuum advance, come with the Crane kit here;https://www.summitracing.com/search...ar=1&kr=Crane advance kit for Ford Duraspark; Anyone you would send it to, uses the same tools. The classic car hobby requires some do it yourself initiative. It's time to learn how. The FordMuscle article points out that the full advance should be seen at 2500 RPM. According to the curve printout you provided, your distributor doesn't reach full advance till 4500 RPM. So weaker springs are needed. The Crane kit comes with great instructions.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
If you have access to a distributor machine and a guide to the best curve, the only other thing needed are reduced power springs. Those, and an adjustable vacuum advance, come with the Crane kit here;https://www.summitracing.com/search...ar=1&kr=Crane advance kit for Ford Duraspark; Anyone you would send it to, uses the same tools. The classic car hobby requires some do it yourself initiative. It's time to learn how. The FordMuscle article points out that the full advance should be seen at 2500 RPM. According to the curve printout you provided, your distributor doesn't reach full advance till 4500 RPM. So weaker springs are needed. The Crane kit comes with great instructions.

Full advance by 2500 does not work well for trucks. I think the curve is good as is and don't recommend messing with it.

Redbark

Full advance by 2500 does not work well for trucks. I think the curve is good as is and don't recommend messing with it.

Thanks for your input. I'm curious. Can you explain why you believe that full advance at 2500 rpm doesn't work for trucks? Do you have a source? The 2500 rpm target seems to be the standard in a number of articles I've read, regardless of vehicle.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Apologies to Redbark. It was Seventee who made the absurd declaration.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Thanks for your input. I'm curious. Can you explain why you believe that full advance at 2500 rpm doesn't work for trucks? Do you have a source? The 2500 rpm target seems to be the standard in a number of articles I've read, regardless of vehicle.

Full advance is generally preferred by 3,000 or 3,500 RPM for heavier vehicles, despite what the other poster is saying.

This is primarily due to weight, especially if towing. But many people run oversize tires and/or under geared ratios in EBs, so I still would not recommend that aggressive of an advance curve, which is intended for muscle cars.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Full advance at 2500 RPM works perfectly in EBs and has for the 20+ years I've owned a Sun distributor machine. I cited at least 1 source that Redbark didn't bother to read. So I'll repeat it and add another. I don't believe Redbark has any.
1.http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?22229-The-Ultimate-Duraspark-Distributor-Timing-Guide
2.https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/03/timing/
I'm sure there are more.

Apologies to Redbark. It was Seventee who made the absurd declaration.

There is nothing in those articles that contradicts what I said, they refer to 'performance driving'. I read the Fordmuscle stuff years ago, and the forum link you provided is plagiarized off that article. %)