• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New guy here! New project Bronco

jatepper

Hey guys! First post here! I just bought this EB from the second owner. The original owner had it since new and it was bought it Globe, AZ. It spent it's life in the Tucson area and it was bought from the original owner about 6 months ago.

The guy who bought the bronco needed money, and needed it fast I guess. I picked up this rust free AZ bronco for 4K! I just could not pass it up! The hard top has never been off the vehicle. The only rust this thing has is just some surface rust. I tested and area with a scotch pad and it wiped right off. The only thing I don't like about it is that the rear quarters have been cut. I want to restore this thing to original condition, so I may buy new quarters and do a little sheet metal work.

It's going in for a frame off restoration. I will be documenting the build here on the forum for anyone who may have some interest. In the mean time, let me know your thoughts or if you have any tips/tricks I should know during the restoration.

I look forward to being an active member in the EB forums!

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd say at $4000 you got a pretty good deal nice looking Bronco!

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Old guy here! Old project Bronco, see signature! Welcome to the sight, it is always great to see another Bronco come back to life!!! Can't wait to watch your build. :cool:

You know there is no greater color than Blue...

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
Looks like one helluva a deal.I think that is the original color on my 67.Pebble beige??I'm still up in the air on going back to it.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome and congrats on your find. Looks like a great deal to me, can't wait to see your progress.

Bferrari

Great find and sounds like a great deal! Be sure to drive the thing for a while before pulling it apart for the full frame off.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Congrats on an awesome find !

Most of the folks on here are really interested in helping so long as you feed our obsession for restoring these old gems.

In addition to driving it for a while to find out just what you have for a canvas, read through some build threads and ask lots of questions to determine what your vision is. Most of us don't mind answering questions that have already been asked, so ask away.

I have built a respectable week end warrior which is capable of being used as a daily driver. In hindsight, I wish I would have built a resto-mod LUBR.

Jay-P

Loc.
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Your lucky to find such a great example of a rust free survivor.

If it were me I would leave it as is and not go the frame off route. Just upgrade any mechanicals you feel need it, and just enjoy it as is. Rust free survivor with some patina is much cooler in my books. :)

67RT

Bronco Guru
Your lucky to find such a great example of a rust free survivor.

If it were me I would leave it as is and not go the frame off route. Just upgrade any mechanicals you feel need it, and just enjoy it as is. Rust free survivor with some patina is much cooler in my books. :)
I agree. Your truck so do what makes u happy, but I would make it safe, get it running, and drive it!

OP
OP
J

jatepper

Great score with factory belt line trim!
Is that an original dealer sticker under the licence plate ?

That is indeed the original dealer sticker under the license plate. Came from Globe, AZ. Spent it's whole life in the Tucson area.

I received a couple of quotes on a full frame off restoration. I'm looking ballpark 12k. If I had the time, I'd do it myself. However, between owning/operating 2 companies and family time, I just dont have the time.

Project starts next week. I will keep you updated with pics.

Question. ..and excuse my ignorance. Why is there no rear bench seat and a factory roll bar?

clarrance

Bronco Guru
That is indeed the original dealer sticker under the license plate. Came from Globe, AZ. Spent it's whole life in the Tucson area.

I received a couple of quotes on a full frame off restoration. I'm looking ballpark 12k. If I had the time, I'd do it myself. However, between owning/operating 2 companies and family time, I just dont have the time.

Project starts next week. I will keep you updated with pics.

Question. ..and excuse my ignorance. Why is there no rear bench seat and a factory roll bar?

If your gettng quotes for a full frame off restorations for $12k i would be nervous and worried about getting a shoddy job. A correct full frame off restoration will set you back at least double your $12k estimate, that's if you do all the work yourself. If your paying a shop, then double it again. $12k might get you a nice paint job and a engine rebuild, but that's about it.

The rear seat was an option, it was probably ordered without one, all roll bars were aftermarket, no such thing as a factory roll bar. A lot of dealers back in the day installed them at the dealership though.

I really like the originality of your Bronco, I would clean up the mechanicals and enjoy it the way it is, beautiful Bronco.

OP
OP
J

jatepper

If your gettng quotes for a full frame off restorations for $12k i would be nervous and worried about getting a shoddy job. A correct full frame off restoration will set you back at least double your $12k estimate, that's if you do all the work yourself. If your paying a shop, then double it again. $12k might get you a nice paint job and a engine rebuild, but that's about it.

The rear seat was an option, it was probably ordered without one, all roll bars were aftermarket, no such thing as a factory roll bar. A lot of dealers back in the day installed them at the dealership though.

I really like the originality of your Bronco, I would clean up the mechanicals and enjoy it the way it is, beautiful Bronco.

I don't know....I think a lot of it is based on demographics. Out here in the southwestern states, there is hardly any rust. So, a frame off consists of tearing it apart, body work, walnut blasting, and paint. Rust repair is most of the costly burden of a frame off, and we don't have those issues. I did a rotisserie restoration of my 1965 fastback and I had about 11k in to that. Top tier work with top of the line PPG paint.