• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

new guy here collecting parts

digitalnic

Have a 69 bronco with i6 and 3 on the tree. Want to convert to 302 & c4. Found a running mated 302/c4 out of a 68 Mustang locally. I should be good to just buy the adapter for the D20 and be in business? A c4 from a car vs. truck will still work, or what should I be looking for? Or, is a c4 just a c4?

Obviously I have a ton more parts to collect, just starting with the actual engine/trans.

Thanks in advance!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The four-wheel-drive truck version of the C4 is considered stronger.
The dipstick goes into the oil pan rather than into the side of the case. One less spot for a crack to start under heavy torque, but possibly other reasons as well.
I do not know if the adapter goes right on to a passenger car C4, or not. But others will know as I think pretty much every combination has been tried over the years.

Good luck.

Paul

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I do not know if the adapter goes right on to a passenger car C4, or not.

You can bolt it on, but the tailshaft from the 2wd transmission will stick all the way through it and out the back. To convert the car C4 to work in a Bronco, you have to disassemble the whole transmission in order to install the correct length 4x4 main shaft. This is why many places sell the C4 adapter with the correct main shaft as a kit.

Even after all of that, you still have a lighter duty car C4 in a 4x4. If your Bronco is a pavement queen, you should be fine. If you actually take it off road, the car C4 is going to be a weak link.

OP
OP
D

digitalnic

You can bolt it on, but the tailshaft from the 2wd transmission will stick all the way through it and out the back. To convert the car C4 to work in a Bronco, you have to disassemble the whole transmission in order to install the correct length 4x4 main shaft. This is why many places sell the C4 adapter with the correct main shaft as a kit.

Even after all of that, you still have a lighter duty car C4 in a 4x4. If your Bronco is a pavement queen, you should be fine. If you actually take it off road, the car C4 is going to be a weak link.
Appreciate it. Yes, pavement queen. I'll beat on another vehicle off road.

bmbm

I might be interested in buying the oil pan and pickup tube from you. Shipping costs could be a factor, which zip code are you in. You can pm me if interested in selling these items.

OP
OP
D

digitalnic

Picked this up, too good of a deal to pass. Turns out the C4 was from an 80s granada...so hoping built a bit more stout than a late 60s model?