• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Bronco - press conf from Ford

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
The fact that it's still under wraps and possible drivetrain additions/changes means they aren't ready to unveil it. Pros...it might be nice, powerful little rig. Cons...it might be rushed and not look good at all.

I just hope they unveil it soon. I'm aching for a new truck and wondering if the New EB will tickle my fancy.

madness

7 speed manual makes sense, they can run a lower 1st gear without sacrificing highway driveability and mpg. We shall see what this ends up looking like......

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The fact that it's still under wraps and possible drivetrain additions/changes means they aren't ready to unveil it. Pros...it might be nice, powerful little rig. Cons...it might be rushed and not look good at all.

I just hope they unveil it soon. I'm aching for a new truck and wondering if the New EB will tickle my fancy.

Considering the lead time needed for production it looks more like a 2021 or 2022 model year by the time they finalize the design and release it.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Considering the lead time needed for production it looks more like a 2021 or 2022 model year by the time they finalize the design and release it.

It sure seems that way based on what we've seeing and hearing (or not seeing and hearing) as of late. Knowing how vehicle development schedules go, we should be seeing spy photos of prototypes being tested, etc.

Todd Z.

BroncoChicken

I think they are testing the drivetrain(s), but just aren’t ready to reveal the design yet. If you spend any time in the mountains west of Denver, you see test mules everywhere. We went to a Breckenridge for a weekend a few weeks ago and I saw several Ford Everests driving around without any sort of camo or disguise. I think these are the test mules and using an Everest body means they don’t have to give away ANY of the design before they want to.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I think they are testing the drivetrain(s), but just aren’t ready to reveal the design yet. If you spend any time in the mountains west of Denver, you see test mules everywhere. We went to a Breckenridge for a weekend a few weeks ago and I saw several Ford Everests driving around without any sort of camo or disguise. I think these are the test mules and using an Everest body means they don’t have to give away ANY of the design before they want to.

Manufacturer plates?
That is the giveaway for test mules.

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru

The city of Los Angeles is also "mule" testing territory. In the early morning, before most of the city is awake, I've caught several glimpses of testing vehicles with camouflage and other gadgets sticking out as it goes around. Plus, the Michigan plates is also a dead giveaway.

BroncoChicken

Manufacturer plates?
That is the giveaway for test mules.

Michigan manufacturer plates. In addition, you can’t get an Everest here. I saw one of the new rangers a couple years ago without any camo, but it wasn’t a new design, so no reason to keep it under wraps.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I saw several Ford Everests driving around without any sort of camo or disguise. I think these are the test mules and using an Everest body means they don’t have to give away ANY of the design before they want to.

If you saw Everests, then they are probably testing powertrain stuff as you note.

We're spoiled in AZ too as many manufacturers do their hot weather and durability testing here. Back in the day I made a few bucks selling spy photos to car magazines and I can usually spot a prototype pretty quickly.

Todd Z.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
It's interesting that they keep showing a 2 door model since Ford said they would not be making a 2 door Bronco.

All the pics I have seen of ideas for what the Bronco could look like have been done by people who do not work for Ford.
Just wishful thinking and speculation is all those are.

So many people obviously want a two door and yet Ford is refusing to make them.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Has there been an official release from Ford saying they won't make a 2 door? I don't recall seeing that.

Todd Z.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
not buying the manual tranny talk. They can make a sequential manual that works far better and cheaper than trying to get folks who never drove manuals from blowing up a tranny their first clutch drop. I bet what they mean is a 7 speed auto that can be shifted like a manual. I also bet they are planning on the eco boosted 2 plus liter to be the motor, gone are the v8 days.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All this talk about gears... The change from a 3 speed C4 to a 4 speed 4R70W for me was great. Almost amazing, but yeah, there's room to improve. (mainly because something is wrong in my tranny to make the shifts really slow and late.) So then here come the 6 speeds over the last 10 years... hmmm. lots of gears. Then the 10 speeds. wow. now we're talking 7 speed auto/manual tranny. Driving around city streets like most of my miles are, it'd get old shifting a real manual 7 spd. "GEARS FOR YEARS!"

BroncoChicken

They have not said they won’t make a 2-door. There was an aerial picture released in an article that had their entire lineup together with future models hidden under blue sheets. It looked like there was a 2-door and a 4-door next to one another. These were the same shape other than the length and there was another one that looked more like the baby Bronco crossover that has had a few pictures released. I’ll see if I can find the picture.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I also remember a statement saying 4 door only, and I'm almost certain it was directly from Ford

Every direct statement from anyone actually working for Ford has been four door only. No 2 door.

People have said that the four door JK outsells the two door, but people do buy the two door so there is a market for them that the four door does not fill.

Elsewhere I mentioned that the bow-tie brand seems to sell eleven different models of pickup truck which I thought was excessive; but as someone else pointed out they keep making them because people buy them.