• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Explorer motor advice this morning!!

rbodine

I just found a complete Mercury Mountaineer motor/trans setup. It has the 2wd 4R70w trans, 5.0 with serp setup with 90k.
I need to know will this bolt up to my C-4 (I had it rebuilt already and want to use it).
Do I have to get a different radiator to use the serp setup...
Is this one of the desireable motors to have?

Thanks, I am supposed to pick it up at 3pm today...

Also, Does this have the gt40P heads? why are they less desireable?

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
You won't have to get a different radiator, just use the crossover hoses talked about here in other threads. The GT40P heads have plugs that come straight out, rather than at an angle, making them harder to find headers for. BC Broncos has a set of headers that fit the heads. The P heads actually flow better, it just the spark plug issue.

As far as the engine itself, trying to use it for an EFI is tough because of the computer. If you go to RJM,s website you'll see the motor is fine, you'll have to make some changes, mainly the distributor.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
97 was the switch year for GT40 to GT40p. Early year was GT40, later the switch to GT40p.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought a Explorer made 2-97 build date and it had the P heads. You can either use factory exhaust manifolds and do a little grinding around the spark plugs or just buy some of the vendor headers or use these.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...tainless-Steel-Shorty-Headers-For-Gt40p-Heads

Are you fuel injecting it or carbing it and how much are you paying for it?
I would not buy the trans if it is from a 2wd.

OP
OP
rbodine

rbodine

I am planning on carbing it, to make it easier and so that I can sell the injection stuff to recoup some cost!
The trans comes with it, package deal.

OP
OP
rbodine

rbodine

Thanks for the advice guys, I am going to head out to pick it up.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
If you lived closer i would swap you a 4x4 trans for the 4x2 trans. I want to convert my daily driver mountaineer over to a 4x2. I'm currently running it with out the front drive shaft because the couplling for the all wheel drive started making some bad noises.

I have a spare all wheel drive case, just haven't swapped it in yet.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I want to convert my daily driver mountaineer over to a 4x2. I'm currently running it with out the front drive shaft because the couplling for the all wheel drive started making some bad noises.

We've been driving a 98 5.0 Eddy Bauer Explorer 2WD that I bought from the salvage auction for 4 years and 40K miles. It gets about 16-17 mixed driving and 18-20 on the highway. A good 3-4 mpg better a AWD version that I used to drive. Just FYI.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
We've been driving a 98 5.0 Eddy Bauer Explorer 2WD that I bought from the salvage auction for 4 years and 40K miles. It gets about 16-17 mixed driving and 18-20 on the highway. A good 3-4 mpg better a AWD version that I used to drive. Just FYI.

I've been driving mine with out the front shaft since Sept. The only down side is the truck can not be parked on a hill, it will roll even when in park.

I noticed the steering was easier and the truck felt like it had less drag which it may have since the all wheel drive coupling was causing problems.

I need to repair my e-brake so I can leave the truck like it is. No need for all wheel drive here in FL.

OP
OP
rbodine

rbodine

I picked up the motor/trans last night. I just listed the tranny on CL here in Daytona. I hope to sell it to recoup some of my motor $$. I just spent a grand on my C4 having it rebuilt and a new torque converter.
I am unsure about the EFI setup, I will probably list it in the next day or so, for the same reason.
I am going to use the serp setup though...