• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need advice from someone who has setup gears Dana 44

screamin reel

Loc.
Calgary, Alberta, Ca
I just pulled the axles out of my Dana 44. The inside was packed full of mud and crud and I mean FULL.
I am replacing everything from gears, carrier, seals etc. I was planning on keeping the original axles as they seem in good shape with only a little surface rust.
My question is:
Should I remove everything and clean it out before I take it in to get everything installed (want to sandblast housing & other parts) or should I just leave it as is and let the rebuilder deal with the mess ?
Is it easier for the rebuilder to have the current 3.50 gears left in ?
Thanks

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Call your rebuilder and ask... If it were me doing it, I'd much prefer a clean, empty housing to one packed with crud with the old carrier and gears still in it. If you do take the carrier out, make sure you mark the carrier bearing caps so that they go back in the exact same way they came out. Mark them as to which side they came off of and which way is up on each one.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
They will be pissed.
I set up gears.
Take a long peice of all thread, and put a washer the ID size of the tube on it.
Cut the washer in 1/2
Then use that to scrape all that crud out of the housing.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
welndmn said:
They will be pissed.
I set up gears.
I set up gears too. I wouldn't be pissed, but I would charge more. :p I'd much prefer a clean empty housing than a dirty one with the old carrier/gears still in it.

4xfloored

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Bernardino
welndmn said:
They will be pissed.
I set up gears.
Take a long peice of all thread, and put a washer the ID size of the tube on it.
Cut the washer in 1/2
Then use that to scrape all that crud out of the housing.

What do you charge to set up a d44?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I was quoted earlier this week $290 to set up gears in a D44 with an empty housing off the truck by one place. He said $450 to set up a ARB or OX. I thought that might be high, but then I called 4-Wheel-Farts and they wanted $350 for a D44 gear install and about the same for an ARB or OX...but he said those are on the truck prices and that it might be less @ $70/hr. Out of all the guys I know around here, no one seems to set up D44s. If anyone is within an hour or two drive and can do the work, I will bring the beer, the gears, the install kits, etc and try to make it worth your time. Thanks.

John

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
trailpsycho said:
I was quoted earlier this week $290 to set up gears in a D44 with an empty housing off the truck by one place. He said $450 to set up a ARB or OX. I thought that might be high, but then I called 4-Wheel-Farts and they wanted $350 for a D44 gear install and about the same for an ARB or OX...but he said those are on the truck prices and that it might be less @ $70/hr. Out of all the guys I know around here, no one seems to set up D44s. If anyone is within an hour or two drive and can do the work, I will bring the beer, the gears, the install kits, etc and try to make it worth your time. Thanks.

John
Ouch. I usually charge $200 per end on the rig.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Well come on down to Indy, catch a race and fix me up! ;D Like I said, I would love to find someone to do it of the clock. I will have to make some calls, I guess and start networking; I think I have a line on some gears and a selectable. The tub comes off the frame this saturday, then the frame to the galvanizer's next week...lots of work left to do...why am I still on this damn machine, I need to get home and get busy.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
$290 and up to set up gears? Ouch! :eek: That's why a few years ago I bought the tools and had a mechanic friend teach me how to do it. You don't use the tools for much else, especially an inch-lb torque wrench, but a couple gear installs on your own rig and the tools have paid for themselves.

I'm setting up a Toyota 8" this weekend for a friend - the fee is to restock my garage beer fridge. ;D

welndmn

Bronco Guru
4xfloored said:
What do you charge to set up a d44?
depends on many thing, carrier being used, in or out of truck.
Most are around 150$
But I like doing them out of the truck.