• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My rear gas tank no vent hose

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Wrong filler neck? Wrong tank? Well, maybe.
Or maybe not.
Maybe it was just a transitional thing where Ford made a change.

Just out of curiosity, what month was your bronco built in?
Weird, Ill check my VIN

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
While I have your attention, would there be anything wrong with getting rid of all that evap plumbing? Not planning on selling so don't care about being original. Also, no vehicle inspection in FLA.
I think that 40-CFR-85 is the relevant statute since 2020. It used to be regulated by the amendment to the 1990 Clean Air Act. But it's the same. It is unlawful to remove or tamper with any emissions control device on any certified automobile.

There is an exemption for a conversion to a different type of motive power. (Gas to Electric, etc.) So I suppose that you could argue that you are removing it in an effort to facilitate your Hybrid or Electric conversion. Otherwise, yes. It is illegal to remove it.

BUT...There is no enforcement, and there is no inspection, and no one cares. So if you are Volkswagen, you will get prosecuted for $13Billion. If you are you...you pay nothing.

Now, to the other point. You have a pre-67 gas tank with a pre-67 fill neck. Sometime in 67, the gas tank fill vent, with a 5/8 diameter hose, moved from the front of the big fill hose to the back. Then later, in 1970, the evap emissions condensing bottle was installed in the left rear quarter panel. 1970 Broncos with Evaporative Emissions received the condensing bottle, and a frame mounted charcoal can. All 1970 and up Bodies were stamped with the evap plumbing provision. non-evap Broncos got a rubber plug.

So you can either get the correct tank for your 76 with evap, or buy an aftermarket 23 gallon tank and delete all of that garbage, as well as the AUX tank.

Reactions: kat

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
October 1975, or October 1976?
Do you still have the blue certification label on the drivers door B-pillar? If so, it will list the month there as well.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
I think that 40-CFR-85 is the relevant statute since 2020. It used to be regulated by the amendment to the 1990 Clean Air Act. But it's the same. It is unlawful to remove or tamper with any emissions control device on any certified automobile.

There is an exemption for a conversion to a different type of motive power. (Gas to Electric, etc.) So I suppose that you could argue that you are removing it in an effort to facilitate your Hybrid or Electric conversion. Otherwise, yes. It is illegal to remove it.

BUT...There is no enforcement, and there is no inspection, and no one cares. So if you are Volkswagen, you will get prosecuted for $13Billion. If you are you...you pay nothing.

Now, to the other point. You have a pre-67 gas tank with a pre-67 fill neck. Sometime in 67, the gas tank fill vent, with a 5/8 diameter hose, moved from the front of the big fill hose to the back. Then later, in 1970, the evap emissions condensing bottle was installed in the left rear quarter panel. 1970 Broncos with Evaporative Emissions received the condensing bottle, and a frame mounted charcoal can. All 1970 and up Bodies were stamped with the evap plumbing provision. non-evap Broncos got a rubber plug.

So you can either get the correct tank for your 76 with evap, or buy an aftermarket 23 gallon tank and delete all of that garbage, as well as the AUX tank.
Wow thank you for all your knowledge. I most likely will get the right gas tank and filler neck because I do get a little blow back around my gas cap. I looked into the 23 gal tanks, but like the looks and nostalgia of the dual tanks. AND I don't know if you can tell but I had my exhaust run between frame and body and the larger tank will interfere. I just hope me changing the filler neck will interfere with the exhaust, its a rather tight fit.
I'll search to see what I can do about the plumbing that I have and how to work around it. Not a fan of extra stuff hanging on frame.

And just for the record, my Bronco is a Hybrid....................it has an electric winch.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Hey, deja-vu:

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/gas-cap-seal-fixed-charcoal-cannister-deletion.308386/
Lol, I was checking if you're local as I'm thinking about selling my 18 gallon aero tank. Although I'll probably keep it.

Since you already have the hard lines for the Charcoal canister, you may as well hook it up when you get a new tank. As DirtDonk mentions, it does a good job of capturing the gas tank fumes.

I bought a new stock tank recently. I bought the black one that's currently sold (there's a silver galvanized one as well). I wasn't happy with the fitment of the tank as the main fill pipe had a tough time fitting over the frame. I don't know if the issue is common, or I happened to get a tank with the fill pipe slightly lower than it should be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Hey, deja-vu:
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/gas-cap-seal-fixed-charcoal-cannister-deletion.308386

Lol, I was checking if you're local as I'm thinking about selling my 18 gallon aero tank. Although I'll probably keep it.

Since you already have the hard lines for the Charcoal canister, you may as well hook it up when you get a new tank. As DirtDonk mentions, it does a good job of capturing the gas tank fumes.

I bought a new stock tank recently. I bought the black one that's currently sold (there's a silver galvanized one as well). I wasn't happy with the fitment of the tank as the main fill pipe had a tough time fitting over the frame. I don't know if the issue is common, or I happened to get a tank with the fill pipe slightly lower than it should be.
North Florida is where im located. That link didn't go anywhere. I was looking at the black one also, Hope it will fit. What was your issue?

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
North Florida is where im located. That link didn't go anywhere. I was looking at the black one also, Hope it will fit. What was your issue?

The stock tank is pressed up against four brackets that are bolted to the frame, this limits how high the fuel tank can be. The filler pipe has to go over the frame, so if the tank isn't high enough the filler pipe is pressed against the frame. I don't know if it's an issue with the fuel tank, or an issue with my bronco. I ended up cutting a little slot into the brackets to raise the tank a little so the filler pipe wasn't pressed upward by the frame.

Other than that issue, the tank was fine.

Reactions: kat