• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My K&N Air Filter is to low. Spacer?

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Just bought this and tried to put it on and as you can tell by photos, the bottom pan is lower than my carburetor. It looks like it needs a 1 inch 2 inch spacer. Do they make these? Is it better to return and get a different one? I do have a 3 inch body lift and I don't think the hood is an issue.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s their low profile version. Do they make a medium low profile version?
If not, just get the standard flat base because you don’t have hood clearance issues.
Most of us do, sometimes even with a body lift. But if you can fit it under the hood Get the regular one. It might still hit the distributor, but certainly not as much as that one.
Anything that hits the distributor you can always put a small spacer under.

Or you can get one of the triangle ones or oval ones and still use a tall filter and clear the hood and distributor.
The larger round ones like yours are easier to find replacement filters for when needed, but sometimes we have to do what we have to do.
I’ve even crumpled the lower tune a little bit to make more clearance.

Reactions: kat
OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
That’s their low profile version. Do they make a medium low profile version?
If not, just get the standard flat base because you don’t have hood clearance issues.
Most of us do, sometimes even with a body lift. But if you can fit it under the hood Get the regular one. It might still hit the distributor, but certainly not as much as that one.
Anything that hits the distributor you can always put a small spacer under.

Or you can get one of the triangle ones or oval ones and still use a tall filter and clear the hood and distributor.
The larger round ones like yours are easier to find replacement filters for when needed, but sometimes we have to do what we have to do.
I’ve even crumpled the lower tune a little bit to make more clearance.
Ordered it off Amazon, I didn;t notice it saying low profile. But will dig around and see. Thanks

Okie69

Contributor
I did something similar just the other day. A 1/2” spacer fixed my issue. You may need a larger spacer due to the amount of drop in that base though.

Reactions: kat

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Why not put a 3 inch tall filter in instead and it will sit just right on the top. More filtering too. That is what I did with my drop base filter.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Called K&N customer service and was able to find out the one I ordered is there 'low profile'. They were very helpful and said I could either exchange it OR they gave me a link for a spacer to lift filter base up. I called my local parts house, and they had one in stock. Installed it and fixed issue. Although it is very close to hood, but don't see any rubbing yet.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I printed a 1/2" spacer for mine.

Attachments

• IMG_5391.JPG
    IMG_5391.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 8