• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

must have tools for EFI

jim02

Loc.
Denver area
What are the must have tools for working with and troubleshooting EFI?
Please list what I am going to want to have when I install and start up the EFI, and a hotlink to the tool would be helpfull.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
A good multimeter will do almost everything you need to do.

If you have an old dwell meter don't throw it out it will come in handy from time to time.

RV77

Loc.
Springfield,IL
Fuel Pressure tester, Spring lock removal tools for the fuel lines....Also a manual for the the torque specs and values

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
electronic multimeter, I actually bought mine at Home Depo for $25.
Fuel pressure gage, bought from Harbor (China) Freight, I think $25 again
Protective glasses and nitril gloves to keep fuel off your hands.
I think thats it other than standard tools.

RV beat me, sorry

OP
OP
J

jim02

Loc.
Denver area
This is great guys, if someone has something they found handy, let me know plz.
I hope to have this done and running by next weekend.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Another vote for a multimeter, a 12V test light (especially if you don't have a check engine light), and a list of diagnostic codes. Silicone dielectric grease for all electrical connections.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>>> speaking of multimeters/voltmeters ..... another really handy EFI tool is a breakout box ( EDIT : as mentioned above in Ryans link to EFI tools on his website)... they connect between the computer & harness for easy testing with a voltmeter without piercing wires or back probing connectors ..... different brand ford EEC-IV 60 pin breakout boxes were very expensive at about 500-800 bucks new, but can be found pretty cheap these days on e-bay ..... I just won one the other day for a whopping $20.50 plus $16.45 shipping ...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...90354162202&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:MOTORS:1123 ....
tools07.jpg

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
A jumper wire to pull codes
A fuel pressure gauge
A digital multimeter ($10-50) for testing sensors & acutators
A 12V test light (maybe 1 incandescent & 1 LED) or power probe
A Haynes manual
Silicone dielectric grease for all electrical connections.
That's not correct. Don't use dielectric (insulating) grease where you want conductivity. Use electrical terminal grease. Click the pic for the list of applications.

...remote moutn efi info and never worry about the TFI again.
x1000000

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That's not correct. Don't use dielectric (insulating) grease where you want conductivity. Use electrical terminal grease.

Gee, I don't seem to have any problems with conductivity. Maybe that's because my connectors rely on metal-to-metal contact between the conductors. The silicone grease prevents water intrusion and corrosion which will lead to high resistance. It works great on the side marker lights-I haven't needed to replace one for about 8 years now.

ransil

Bronco Guru
An electrical connection is not needed, good thermal contact is needed.
Need to use a thermal compound not an electrical compound.
A metal to metal contact is a poor thermal conductor there is too much air space and air is a poor conductor of heat.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wow. %)

Dielectric silicone grease is too thick, and it REDUCES the metal-to-metal contact, the same way chassis grease works. Electrical silicone grease is much thinner, so it has all the OTHER benefits, but allows more contact. It's almost silicone oil, like breast implants used to contain.

Heat transfer has nothing to do with electrical conductivity.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Where are we putting this grease??

either way I do not use it.
for good corrosion free connections I use Thomas Betts Kopr-Shield
for mounting TFI modules I do use a thermal paste compound, however it does have its limitations and dries out after time a better product is the sheet stuff you can get and cut to fit.
Then again the module mounted on the distributor might just benefit from being insulated from the distributor so the motor heat does not transfer to it.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Aren't electrical terminal grease and dielectric grease essentially the same stuff? Non-conductive and corrosion preventers? When you apply either one
to the electrical terminals then connect the terminals, the grease is pushed aside, metal contacts metal and the remaining grease prevents water intrusion and corrosion.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Where are we putting this grease??
Click those pics & read the applications. %)
Then again the module mounted on the distributor might just benefit from being insulated from the distributor so the motor heat does not transfer to it.
I doubt it. I'm pretty sure it can get hotter than the engine. If not, Ford wouldn't have heat-sinked it.
Aren't electrical terminal grease and dielectric grease essentially the same stuff?
Essentially, diamonds are the same stuff as carbon black & graphite. Essentially, an eB is the same as a Land Rover Defender 90.
...the grease is pushed aside...
That's the difference! ;) Dielectric is much thicker.