• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

More suspension help - Middle of build!

dixie4x4

Loc.
Mandeville, LA
Ok, thanks to you guys, I tackled the spring removal and shock removal myself. Now, I have all the pieces out but when I take the new springs and put it into the opening, they are too big. What is my hangup?

The old springs are about 4inches of lift, the new are 4.5 but progressive. The new are 2+ inches longer than the old and I cannot get them into the old location witout taking something else down. Spring compressors couldnt possibly be the answer here, right?

This is my jacking point.. radius arm lowering bracket.
photo3.jpg

Not fitting
photo2.jpg

next to another
photo4.jpg

Is this the maximum flex my bronco will have? SHouldnt this drop more from gravity alone?
photo11.jpg

Thanks again to all

Last edited:

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
You really need to get "all" the weight off the front axle....so, you need it hanging. Right now, you've got the passenger tire resting on the ground. Do you have jack stands. If so, get both tires off and let the front axle hang. From there, it is relatively easy. I've never had to use spring compressors. Get your spring retainer started (loosely) turn the spring clockwise until you can't turn it anymore, grab the top and shove it in there!

OP
OP
D

dixie4x4

Loc.
Mandeville, LA
Thank you bow hunter, I have 3 stands and 2 jacks. I guess I can get the other side started too.

I know you all know the way a project like this starts.. I took it apart just to check to make sure the bolts would come out. Ended up not stopping and now its in parts in the middle of my driveway. I have a plasma cutter borrowed tomorrow to cut the old shock mounts off, then need to weld the hoop in. No sense in installing the coils until I get the heat out of the way.

I just tried to make sure it would fit, which it didnt.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
can you push down on the axle and get it to drop more? i've had to use a foot on the hub to push down while i popped the top of the coil in.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
With the axle drooping and front springs out and shocks disco'd, take your jack and push UP on the opposite side of the axle tube. It will droop the side you are working on further.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I would also recommend loosening the nuts on the back of the radius arms as there may be a slight bind there limiting down travel.

Pushing up on the opposite side should help, as will the foot on the hub method described above.

When I did mine (on stock arms) I went from stock springs to 5.5" and had no problem getting the axle to droop enough. I've since gone to longer arms.

jpalmer

Loc.
Boise, ID
I had the same problem when I did my first lift when I didn't know much and had to remove my radius arms. Since then (two more lifts) I have had no more issues.