• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Molded Firewall insulation

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any tips for installing the molded firewall insulation that the vendors sell? Having a hard time getting the rubber fasters/ plugs to slip through the holes in the firewall. The version I just got is from Jeffs and has the stock style rubber fasteners that slide through the firewall holes. The ones I used in the older molded insulation were plastic and had fins on it and pushed right through and stayed. On this kit...the rubber stock style...I 've tried pulling them through,but the tip rips off therefore ruining them. Seems no matter how careful...even when greased...I seem to end up pulling the tips off. I've even used a long thin Blount object to stick into the back side to push them through, but usually just forces out the tip as well. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Blue71

jasonb

Loc.
Howard City, MI
I had the same problem. I was able to get a couple new ones through. I cleaned up my original factory ones and reused them for the remaining holes. They are a little softer rubber, but still hold nice.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had the same issue & ended up using a stainless nut & bolt instead. I know it's not stock but a lot of this Bronco isn't going to be stock. If the softer originals work I wonder if heating them in a pot of water would soften them enough to let them work? Good luck & post up any results.