• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lower coilover mounts on BJ D60 inner c’s

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
I’m thinking about using RuffStuff shock mounts for my front coilovers. Any issue with welding them the inner c’s? It’s a BJ D60 so lots of beef on the c’s.

Contributor
On top of the C or at the base of it?

Here’s my 08 880B59C9-AFF2-426D-AC99-C18AC9EBDD2A.jpeg

Contributor
I would not do that. Can you get a taller mount between the C and the link bracket?

OP
OP
rocknhorse76

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
I was afraid you’d say that. So much for easy. Might be time to give up on this whole project and part my rig out. I don’t have a full machine shop at my disposal 🤬🤬

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Why not? as for welding and structure it’s fine. If the packaging works go for it. C’s are forged steel and weld fine. Have done a similar mounts multiple times. I’d be more concerned about it hitting the top the tire when fully articulated but there is absolutely no reason that won’t work.

I don’t have a complete machine shop and have done over 100 link conversions and built a dozen full tube chassis’s with nothing more than basic metal working tools, most exotic thing I own is a tubing bender and a drill press. You can do this, don’t be bashful, ask questions and post pics. Many of us here will help keep you pointed the right direction.

OP
OP
rocknhorse76

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
Thanks Yeller. I’m just getting frustrated trying to get these c/o’s mounted!!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Thanks Yeller. I’m just getting frustrated trying to get these c/o’s mounted!!
I completely understand. Everything I work on I get because most say it can’t be done and there is something the owner wants that just doesn’t fit “normal”. I’ve been fortunate enough to have my own stuff and a few race cars to try stuff out on and see what works and what does not.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Tim- my 2 thoughts were:

1- if your shock mts are 1/4" yes

2- like Steve said- no reason not to do it! Why not bridge btw the "C"and the radius arm brkt? Does that affect your overall height too much? You've seen mine :) and it works fine that way... for many years. Steve's got the experience...

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The material is plenty heavy, they will work just fine as they are, even only welded on 2 sides. Welding the 3rd top side is visually and emotionally important but is not so much technically important other than helping to mask imperfections in the weld. Over welding is holding the world together. I’m guilty and will continue to over weld lol.

OP
OP
rocknhorse76

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
Yeah they’re 1/4” material, and I was planning to do some kind of gusset as well. I’ll do all the tacks with my Miller 211 and .035” wire. All of the final welds on the suspension will be done with .045” metal core on my buddy’s big Miller welder.

OP
OP
rocknhorse76

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
Tim- my 2 thoughts were:

1- if your shock mts are 1/4" yes

2- like Steve said- no reason not to do it! Why not bridge btw the "C"and the radius arm brkt? Does that affect your overall height too much? You've seen mine :) and it works fine that way... for many years. Steve's got the experience...
Brian, my upper mounts will still be lower than yours since I’m only running 14” shocks. My overall ride height is pretty close to where I wanted to be. 3” SL and 2” BL with 37’s.