• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Let's see some pictures of 72' Explorer Sports

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Does anyone have pictures of the 1972 Explorer Sport model Broncos? I am particularly interested in original colors. I know they came in X paint code Golden Rod (Durango Tan), but were they offered in any other color in 72?

Mike D

Contributor
1972 explorer sport

1972 explorer sport. i like them all.

Attachments

• IMG_3165.jpg
    IMG_3165.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3168.jpg
    IMG_3168.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 71

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My kind of thread!
I'll take advantage of any excuse to show off my buddy's first Broncos.
Both '72 Explorers...

IMG_0009 (Large).jpg IMG_0011 (Large).jpg

Pictures fade, but not the good memories!

Paul

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
My kind of thread!
I'll take advantage of any excuse to show off my buddy's first Broncos.
Both '72 Explorers...

View attachment 479484 View attachment 479485

Pictures fade, but not the good memories!

Paul

Hey Paul,

Are these two Explorer Sport's? Or just Explorer's? It looks like they both have the "Sport" badge. If they are Explorer Sports, do you happen to know what the color code is on that red one? The only color that I have been able to confirm for a 72 Explorer Sport is the paint code "X" which is Golden Rod (Durango Tan).

Can anyone else definitely confirm with a glove box door or Marti Report any other original colors?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Hey Paul,

Are these two Explorer Sport's? Or just Explorer's? It looks like they both have the "Sport" badge. If they are Explorer Sports, do you happen to know what the color code is on that red one? The only color that I have been able to confirm for a 72 Explorer Sport is the paint code "X" which is Golden Rod (Durango Tan).

Can anyone else definitely confirm with a glove box door or Marti Report any other original colors?

Pretty sure those available colors have been discussed in a thread here. I think someone posted a pic of a dealer brochure with colors as well.

House

Minutia Militia
I have seen Marti's for both Royal Maroon and Candyapple Red 72 Explorer Sports.
This is the sales flier that shows the Durango Tan.

Attachments

• 1972Explorer.jpg
    1972Explorer.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 30

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, in other threads we've both listed, and debunked the listed colors that were supposedly the only ones available.
I always thought my buddy's red one was CandyApple, but nobody ever thought to make a record of the warranty plates back then. Just went out and kept having too much fun with them and then both got sold.

Sorry I don't have more info. Just more pictures if that would help determine the color. We have compared it to known color charts here (in the master color thread) in the past, and can do it again if needed.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And yes, they both had Sport badging, chrome trim everywhere except drip rail, full parchment or tan floor mats, and the tan Bronco even had the matching color dash pad I believe. While the red one had a black dash pad.

Paul

bchesley

Candy Apple Red..... with a lot of patina.

Attachments

• IMG_9467.jpg
    IMG_9467.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 27

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another angle, slightly less faded and showing the Explorer badge on the glovebox door.

IMG_0025 (Large).jpg

It really looks like a combination of Rangoon, Candyapple, and Imperial!
Imperial was a '73 color and the chart makes it look like all three are the same. In the '72 color sheet though, it's closer to Rangoon.

Paul

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I love all of the pictures. Has anyone ever seen a Blue 72 Explorer Sport?

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Another angle, slightly less faded and showing the Explorer badge on the glovebox door.

View attachment 479551

It really looks like a combination of Rangoon, Candyapple, and Imperial!
Imperial was a '73 color and the chart makes it look like all three are the same. In the '72 color sheet though, it's closer to Rangoon.

Paul

Yeah, it does look closer to Rangoon, but it's probably hard to tell looking at a scan of an old faded picture. It may have been Candy Apple. Who knows?? LOL.

Last edited:

Mike D

Contributor
1972 bronco

Yes, it belongs to me. I have a bunch more, but they are all cut.I have another 72 sport i have owned for almost 40 years.

yfz450sew

Chrome Yellow was one option.

Attachments

• U15GLP44635_dlxrpt.pdf
    216.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: