• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Left turn signal/brake light.

Fry

Just went for a ride and was told by someone on the street my left turn signal was out. Upon getting home and looking into it the left turn signal does indeed not work. I also noticed the left back brake light was not lighting up when the brake was pressed. If I turn the truck off and back on and press the brake, that left brake light will light up once but after that nothing, any clue what could call use this issue. The right back passenger side works fine.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Could be anything at this point.
First thing I would do would be to take the back lens off, check the condition of the bulb and socket, as well as the cleanliness of the contact points and screw holes for the tail light bucket.
The contact areas would have insulators on them normally, so if that’s the case, the only grounding for the lights is through the screws.
The reverse light, however, has its own ground and you might as well check that while you’re in there. It runs up to the body behind the tail light bucket.

Generally speaking, there’s nothing in the turn signal and tail light circuit that would fix itself by turning off the key. That’s a common electrical thing, but it would be unusual in the light circuit.
Is it all original wiring?

OP
OP
F

Fry

It had a frame off resto about 5 years ago so I’m pretty sure the wiring is new , after going look at it tonight in the dark, both brake lights work but if I have the left turn single on and press the brakes the left brake light will not light up.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
You probably have a bad turn signal switch. Sometimes when the brake lights do not work you can wiggle the turn signal lever and the brake light will come on. Pressing the lever forward often does it. That’s a sign of a bad switch….

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
When left turn signal is on, the left brake light should NOT work. It should be blinking.
With turnsignal off the brake power goes from brake switch, up column to turnsignal switch, then down column to both tail light assemblies. . . So wires are good clear to back if both brake lights work with TS switch off.
Turning left turnsignal on disconnects left lamp from brake circuit, and connects it to blinker. I suspect bad contact in TS switch.

With TS switch off, and headlights on, do both tail lamps come on with lower intensity?
This would verify grounds to both tail lamp assemblies.

As Slowleak points out, the primary suspect is the turnsignal switch.

OP
OP
F

Fry

Anyone have a video on how to change out a turn signal switch?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
You should check power to the wire/bulb. If you don't have power, then swap the switch.

If you do have power, then it would likely be ground.

OP
OP
F

Fry

You should check power to the wire/bulb. If you don't have power, then swap the switch.

If you do have power, then it would likely be ground.
How would it got about doing that? Sorry I’m a noob with these things.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
If your hazards and brake light work then it is not a grounding problem. They use the same ground.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Well, @Slowleak brings up a good point...do your hazards work?

It's the same wire I think, even though it's a different power/fuse source on your panel.

If they do work, you know for sure it's not ground.

You prob don't need to test for power in that scenario.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I don’t know the year of your Bronco but this wiring diagram may help. Power feeds into the turn signal switch from the brake light switch at the pedal, the hazard flasher, and the turn signal flasher. Power is routed to the rear bulb by the switch. It uses the same wiring from the switch to the bulb, the same bulb, and same ground for the turn signal, stop light, and hazard light. If any of those work, and the others don’t, it is not a ground or bulb issue, or even an issue with the wiring from the switch to the bulb. Since the other lights, on the other corners of the Bronco work, you know you are getting power to the switch. You are not getting power out of the switch to that one bulb….thats because it is not making contact in the switch.
320aa3c5419ebd850229e8fb53c0ff5b.png