• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hazards only work when turn signal left or right is engaged

BigBoss

66 Bronco with a floor shifter and dash mounted hazard switch. Did a complete re-wire with the American Autowire harness. Only wires going to the steering wheel are turn signal and horn. After much hair pulling I got the electrical completely working. Except for the hazards which only work when the turn signal lever is engaged left or right. The lights flash as they should, left and right turn signal and hazards. Yet the hazards will not flash when hazard switch is pulled out and the lever is in “neutral”. I also have a pair of LED turn signal mirrors but the problem persists even when I disconnect them. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
My experience is with 68 electrical system.
It has separate flashers, one for emergency and one for turn signals.
Does 66 have two flasher units?
If yes, which one is clicking for emergency flashers?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
66 Bronco with a floor shifter and dash mounted hazard switch. Did a complete re-wire with the American Autowire harness. Only wires going to the steering wheel are turn signal and horn. After much hair pulling I got the electrical completely working. Except for the hazards which only work when the turn signal lever is engaged left or right. The lights flash as they should, left and right turn signal and hazards. Yet the hazards will not flash when hazard switch is pulled out and the lever is in “neutral”. I also have a pair of LED turn signal mirrors but the problem persists even when I disconnect them. Any thoughts?
You're not getting 12V from the hazard power circuit to the hazard switch. When you engage the turn signal the hazard switch robs power from that circuit to make the hazards work.