• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lee Power Steering kit for Explorer 5.0 to EB

OP
OP
dmoses42

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
I've read the stories of others with Explorer power steering pump issues but I've never had any, at all. I don't do extreme crawling, my tires are 35" and I don't have a ram, so that's likely part of it.

So, in your opinion... If I'm only running 33s at the max and 300-350hp at the max, with hydroboost, is there any reason to not just stick with a factory explorer pump? Mine won't see any hardcore wheeling either. It's adding the hydroboost that concerned me with the factory Explorer pump.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
So, in your opinion... If I'm only running 33s at the max and 300-350hp at the max, with hydroboost, is there any reason to not just stick with a factory explorer pump? Mine won't see any hardcore wheeling either. It's adding the hydroboost that concerned me with the factory Explorer pump.
I already had hydroboost on my Bronco when I swapped to the Explorer front dress and that dang junkyard pump that won't quit, back in 2005. I'd say just run the stock pump. If down the road it proves inadequate, the location at the top front of the engine makes it super simple to change to something else.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In wheeling, you often find yourself pushing a tire against a big rock and need more power steering than stock stuff. You shouldn't need anything extravagant for 33s on the street.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am running a superduty guts explorer pump, hydroboost, EB box, and ram assist. I have several pinch points where fittings are not big enough to help flow or perhaps the way i have my returns routed thru a T as opposed to separate return ports. The square connection may be a big restriction on my flow. Anyway, my setup causes slow steering. If I try to spin the wheel too quick, the steering will freeze up, and I'll have to turn backward slightly to get it flowing again. I'm eventually going to shim the spring in the pump to increase the pressure just a bit and open up those fittings (probably by replacing them with bigger ones) to let the pressure flow.

OR. I could build a 4x4x2 box since I have all the stuff, and remove the ram, but I think that requires me to build a new steering link. #justmorework I think the 4x4x2 box is good enough for most rock crawling you'll do in a bronco so you don't need the ram.