• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Landsharks 69er Build and Tune

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
cleaning some broncos up ;)

69and76.jpg

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
So in between testing for a blown head gasket I decided to at least wire everything for the puller fans I pulled out of a range rover in the Junk yard. I mocked up the fans hooked up everything with the adjustable thermostat and an over ride switch. I set them to come on at 225F and they turn off right around 205F or so.. seem to work really well.

I'm going to have to get some tabs welded onto the front core support to secure the fans but overall looks like they will fit and cool greatl. I think I will have to trim some of the fan on one side to sit as flat as possible against the radiator as it cools much more efficiently that way.

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Subscribed! I'm debating the 400 installed in my next build. Found some shorty headers that will fit thx to Bax, just gotta pony up the $400 when the time comes. Do you plan to remove the mechanical fan if you go with the electric ones?

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Subscribed! I'm debating the 400 installed in my next build. Found some shorty headers that will fit thx to Bax, just gotta pony up the $400 when the time comes. Do you plan to remove the mechanical fan if you go with the electric ones?

Nope keeping both, the electric puller fans work VERY well at idle or crawling on the trail.. The Mechanical fan works well on the move, slow speed etc... so I'll keep both.

the 400 has been running pretty well, a few hiccups and other tweaks I need to make but otherwise so far so good.

EDIT: oh.. i guess i never took pics after the install! I will have to do that this week...

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Finally got around to installing the new perches, ubolts, centering bolts and spring plates. Loaded the back end with about 200lbs then worked on the pinon angle and set it at 1-2 degree down. no vibrations and as a bonus lowered the rear end a bit so sits pretty level ;)

In the Wildhorses directions it says toque the ubolts to 120 ft lbs, that seems a bit low. The local spring and suspension shop that I got the previous 5/8 ubolts from told me 177 ft lbs. I went ahead and torqued down the WH ubolts down to 150 ft lbs... i would assume with 5/8 bolts I should be good as long as I keep tabs on them.

IMG_2436.JPG

Guess its time for some burnouts ;)

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Did you move the axle back some? How did you determine your 1-2 degree angle? Did you do this with the axle away from bronco? Sorry for all the newb questions.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Did you move the axle back some? How did you determine your 1-2 degree angle? Did you do this with the axle away from bronco? Sorry for all the newb questions.

I didn't really move the axle back any, i might when I do my transmission swap.

I used a angle finder to set the angle...

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
So here is the final mounting of the two puller fans, they work very well!

IMG_2450.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG

picked up a wild horse track bar riser and flipped the tie rods over the knuckle... fixed the rear pinon angle and got rid of the shims.

next up.. big block ZF-5 to 400 block swap ;)

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So here is the final mounting of the two puller fans, they work very well!
Looks good, do you have the fans set up to push air or they pulling? I assume they are pushing air, I'm not trying to be technical here I just wonder how they are doing if they are pulling to the outside.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
They pull air in from the outside and push it through the radiator toward the engine

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
that's what I thought, I have never herd of the opposite

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Project Elk carcass is complete!

I will have to take some photos of the finished product all painted and pretty but should easily hold a gutted elk...

photo.JPG

IMG_8009.jpg

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Just a few pics of the rack Kinder and I made a few weeks ago, unfortunately didn't bag any elk this year but there's always next!

IMG_2725.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
unfortunately didn't bag any elk this year but there's always next!

Yeah but just gettn to enjoy the Bronco to and from the hunt is half the fun , looks good

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
I guess I forgot to update the build thread with the ZF-5 Conversion and all the other things I have been fixing and upgrading - but I will do that here soon.

Meanwhile have started to try and fab(ulous) my way through a tunnel cover....

Not sure this will work but I think i have a game plan.. anyway, my welds aren't that great and honestly I should have ran a little backing plate behind the seam but oh well live and learn...

anyway things to Kinder I have fused two tunnel covers into one and cut out for the dual sticks... fits but will need to hammer the edges to match the angles a bit then I will spray line it and hopefully I can deal with the looks :)

IMG_0295.JPG

Anyway more to come!

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
I finally got tired of the harnesses and ordered some 2" bungs to weld into the cage for my H1 belts. Got around to installing them today, my welds aren't pretty as I am still working on my skills. Bottoms where the toughest not much room and being new to welding I had to work on em a bit...

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

here is what the belts look like...

IMG_0344.JPG

Belts are mounted up - hard to see.. was nice and sunny :)

IMG_0345.JPG

still have to bolt in the latch end should be able to do that tomorrow.