• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Kit Baja and Standard Color Baja Broncos by Stroppe

gritz

Alright. well. I have a list on a drive here with VINS and all kinds of stuff, but I'm out in the shop, plus Stroppe modifieds are there too. Heres my quicklist of Kit Bajas:

My 72 Tampico Yellow
71 Kit Baja Bronco on registry
73 Green Kit I got last month
Carpers orange one
Maroon one listed here on this thread (I bought wheels off it in '98 or something)
House's 4speed kit
One on East coast I know of
Green 71 I heard of in New Mexico, by the ordering dealer

These are Broncos that got the Baja Kit including decals and tire cover. Some would argue that not all bajas got all the equipment, which is true, but there are two groups(not including last 75s) of consignment Bajas that those low option rigs fall into, and I believe it was due to overstock at Stroppe and they were pumped to dealers with little or no options at a big discount.[/QUOT

Do you think that these are more or less valuable than tri colored Baja's? Just curious I like anything Stroppe.

BajaFresh75

Bronco Guru
Andrew, Can you define for all of us a "kit" vs a Stroppe equipped Bronco vs a Bronco with goodies bought and installed from the Stroppe catalog please? I'm guessing documentation proving it went through his shop in Long Beach back in the day vs someone else outfitting his accessories on one.
This thread is preventing me from getting shit done at the office!!!!

Last edited:

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Andrew, Can you define for all of us a "kit" vs a Stroppe equipped Bronco vs a Bronco with goodies bought and installed from the Stroppe catalog please? I'm guessing documentation proving it went through his shop in Long Beach back in the day vs someone else outfitting his accessories on one.

I know, me too - love this thread. So here's what I'm seeing a need to catagorize:

Kit Baja- This is a Bronco, taken when new, to Stroppes for the full Baja kit (again, realize that some Bajas didn't get much more than a rollbar - thats not normal - the list was: dual shocks, wheels, tires, tire cover, steering wheel, bumper braces, flares, rollbar, and usually at least Auto, and sometimes PS). Kit baja would have all or 90 percent that stuff. Example: Tampico Baja I have.

Stroppe Modified: - Any amount of Stroppe parts put on at Stroppes. Most of these are heavily modified and accessorized. A few have been simply flares, braces, and dual shocks. Example: Blue Torch before I made into racer: '69 Bronco- AT/PS by Stroppe, dual shocks, front and rear axle trusses, full cage, bumper braces, hitch, Propane power, Hone Overdrive.

Stroppe equipped: Stroppe parts installed in the day, but by local 4x4 shops and dealers. Example: ??

On top of that you'll get some grey area rigs - I have a 69 Holman-Moody Stroppe truck, ordered special from Ford, special paint, that was equipped largely by it's selling dealer, a major Bronco dealer: Fairway Ford in Placentia, CA (they advertised in Four wheeler, Off road, and were a ford dealer ONLY in one location in CA!) Equipped by them with rollbar, flares and rims, but apparently by HMS with 4V, headers, valve covers, 3speed Hurst, dual shocks, and front axle truss.

Plain and simple it's neat stuff.

Last edited:

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Yeah, documentation is important. But I'm pretty confident I could tell you one done by Stroppe vs one done after the fact. Depends on the option.

Even individual order Baja Broncos (3.50 gear, open diff, some 4speed after 72, and others) are not verifiable by Deluxe Report thru Marti. He can only tell you a consigment Baja, a DSO 87 prefix 20 -30 batch rig.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine came with stroppe steering wheel, dual shocks, bumper braces, roll bar.

McFuels, did you sell me your rims back at FFF '98? After you switched to disc? Or was that someone else? Was a long time ago and I'm foggy on that.

Andrew

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you think that these are more or less valuable than tri colored Baja's? Just curious I like anything Stroppe.

I guess it depends. I personally love them. I've owned almost 30 Baja Broncos of the 4 color variety, and a couple racers.

For some, having a marti report that says it was "converted by Stroppe with the Baja Bronco package" is more important than any physical evidence or originality.

The issue is - with these Kit Bajas, even if drop shipped to Long Beach, you may never get a Marti stating those words. So if you have a Kit Baja with documentation and or a full story or, in original survivor condition, I'd say thats pretty unique.

In your case, restoring one - take lots of pics of your process, have me come look at it, chase ownership history anyway you can. Document it.

I think to the right collector, a solid color or Kit Baja, documented is probably worth more. But...again lots of factors regarding documentation and of course vehicle condition....so thats a tough question...

gritz

Great Info Andrew, I really enjoy this thread. Can you post more info in this thread about Tampico and your new green Baja for future reference?

Mcfuels

Great thread! Yes, Andrew that was me who sold you the mags. I'd love for you to help track down the history of my truck and give me your insight. When your schedule permits of course.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's another shot of the green one. It has: bumper braces, dual shocks, rollbar, steering wheel, fender decals, rollbar decals, tire cover, 15x8 mags, and a 4V, Holley and intake. The latter we didn't know about til I got home. During the gas crisis it was changed to a smaller 4V and then back to 2V via a plate. I was looking around at the original owners house with the owner's wifes help and we couldn't find the 2V intake anywhere...I was kind of bummed. She called her brother in law and he said "Stroppe kept it......when he installed the 4V when it was converted to a Baja."

Attachments

• IMG_8464.jpg
    IMG_8464.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_8458.jpg
    IMG_8458.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's another shot of the green one. It has: bumper braces, dual shocks, rollbar, steering wheel, fender decals, rollbar decals, tire cover, 15x8 mags, and had a 4V, but during gas crisis it was changed to a smaller 4V and then back to 2V via a plate. I was looking around at the original owners house with the owner's wifes help and we couldn't find it. She called her brother in law and he said "Stroppe kept it......when he installed the 4V when it was converted to a Baja."

That is one nice Bronco, very tastefully done.

gritz

That is nice. I hope it goes to some one that will keep it stroppe original.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I think I'm selling some of my non Broncos to keep this one. I sort of like it alot. Needs a little mechanical work too, a little too much to hand off. I did sell two project Broncos I had that were my personal projects earlier this summer, so this will be a good replacement.

Here's two pics of Tampico: one when I found her, one after a week, and then finally as it is now with sliding windows, 1" body lift, repainted wheels....I guess also pretty original...but I will keep the Green one even more as is.

Attachments

• 72yellowrtside.jpg
    72yellowrtside.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 143
  • arrival 002.jpg
    arrival 002.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC03108.jpg
    DSC03108.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 172

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's another that had at least: rollbar, wheels, dual shocks, flow-thru ventilation system, flares, and gates commandos. The current and longtime owner sold the rollbar, rims and gates spare to me over the last 15 years.

Attachments

• StricklandStroppeMod.jpg
    StricklandStroppeMod.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 124

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yah we had talked a bit about it last year as I'd seen it for sale but I think he ended up keeping it. Hope so.