• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Kit Baja and Standard Color Baja Broncos by Stroppe

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And another worm comes out of the woodwork...
Hope to see more on this one soon...
1972 AT/PS Kit Baja in the CB classifieds :cool:
Just noticed this one has the tabs for a tow bar. Does anyone know if he has the tow bar?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The dual shock mounts have been around a long time. As early as 67 with Stroppe. Many companies copied them over the years, and I believe Duff or wild horses still make them. Probably Toms too. The shapes, holes and shapes of the lower tabs are all a bit different with everyones take on whats best. I looked at your build thread. Nice Bronco! I saw one pic of the lower radius arm bracket for that auxiliary shock and it shows only one hole. I believe that was probably a KbarS dual shock kit or another brand that came in later. The stroppe variety has a different shape with more choices for bolts to go thru.

Thanks for info!!

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for info!!

No problem. Great build you have going - Also your front fender flares are my favorite old style. I may re-tool and make them, as I think they look best of all early Bronco flares. They were made by GT Equipment Mfg, and were sold for quite a while, but were introduced early on, maybe 71 or 72. They are also on the former KbarS Balloon Chaser Bronco now owned by Wild Horses, and Also on the brown Kit Baja recently sold by Beach City Broncos/Mark Atherton. Neat pieces.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just noticed this one has the tabs for a tow bar. Does anyone know if he has the tow bar?

Yeah, those have popped up alot. Tampico has them, and then they are also on: Boss Bronco recently surfaced, 1st Bronco, and now this lovely brown pinstriped one. I have pics and some measurements from a friend who has the tow-bar for his Stroppe Racer. Will see if I can borrow it sometime. Also Theres a guy on the east coast who has one.....

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, those have popped up alot. Tampico has them, and then they are also on: Boss Bronco recently surfaced, 1st Bronco, and now this lovely brown pinstriped one. I have pics and some measurements from a friend who has the tow-bar for his Stroppe Racer. Will see if I can borrow it sometime. Also Theres a guy on the east coast who has one.....

I got mine if you need pics or comparison measurements. It definitely got used and abused.

Attachments

• 000_0046.jpg
    000_0046.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 000_0048.jpg
    000_0048.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 000_0052.jpg
    000_0052.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
House

House

Minutia Militia
So this little Chelsea Green Kit Baja project is coming along nicely thanks to the handiwork of Baja Broncos Unlimited... ;)

Attachments

• ChelseaSmall.jpg
    ChelseaSmall.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 89

gritz

So this little Chelsea Green Kit Baja project is coming along nicely thanks to the handiwork of Baja Broncos Unlimited... ;)

I saw this one awhile ago. What is the whole story on this stroppe?

OP
OP
House

House

Minutia Militia
Don't know it's whole story yet, but a truck that went through Long Beach and grew up in Texas.
Now living the retired life in Northern CA with a few close relatives. ;)

OP
OP
House

House

Minutia Militia
What is a Kit Baja...never heard that term?

From post #105, I guess I should put it on the front page somehow...

I know, me too - love this thread. So here's what I'm seeing a need to catagorize:

Kit Baja- This is a Bronco, taken when new, to Stroppes for the full Baja kit (again, realize that some Bajas didn't get much more than a rollbar - thats not normal - the list was: dual shocks, wheels, tires, tire cover, steering wheel, bumper braces, flares, rollbar, and usually at least Auto, and sometimes PS). Kit baja would have all or 90 percent that stuff. Example: Tampico Baja I have.

Stroppe Modified: - Any amount of Stroppe parts put on at Stroppes. Most of these are heavily modified and accessorized. A few have been simply flares, braces, and dual shocks. Example: Blue Torch before I made into racer: '69 Bronco- AT/PS by Stroppe, dual shocks, front and rear axle trusses, full cage, bumper braces, hitch, Propane power, Hone Overdrive.

Stroppe equipped: Stroppe parts installed in the day, but by local 4x4 shops and dealers. Example: House's Carmel Bronze '70

On top of that you'll get some grey area rigs - I have a 69 Holman-Moody Stroppe truck, ordered special from Ford, special paint, that was equipped largely by it's selling dealer, a major Bronco dealer: Fairway Ford in Placentia, CA (they advertised in Four wheeler, Off road, and were a ford dealer ONLY in one location in CA!) Equipped by them with rollbar, flares and rims, but apparently by HMS with 4V, headers, valve covers, 3speed Hurst, dual shocks, and front axle truss.

Plain and simple it's neat stuff.

akirshbom

Awesome! Thanks Andrew....heard a buddy of mine Keith Davis has his eye on one that's been off the grid for a while. Can you share any info on that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C_Man69EB

Fascinating thread -

If this has been answered, sorry for the repeat. How do you confirm if its a Stroppe kit added by dealer, or by Stroppe's shop, versus a privateer /consumer who bought the parts out of the catalog and installed them himself? or is that considered the same thing?

Cullen

OP
OP
House

House

Minutia Militia
Dealer/Private is hard to tell the difference, but Andrew can discern if it was done at Stroppe's shop or not.
I know he started working on a Kit Registry since so many people keep pestering him about them... haha

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From post #105, I guess I should put it on the front page somehow...

I should probably muddy the definition waters more by possibly calling some of the "Kit Bajas" actual "special color Baja Broncos" if they were special ordered new and not simply taken in. Basicly, it's really important to have some backstory or old photos unless I can see your Baja up close and personal. I am still compliling info and figuring out how to easily document it on the registry listing which type of Kit Baja it is and how verified....will make public when I get that figured.

Andrew

OP
OP
House

House

Minutia Militia
So how many Special Color Baja Broncos do you know of? Less than five I would imagine?