• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Interco TSL SX opinions needed

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Because of the cost buying tires is a big decision. I would like feedback/opinions from anyone with Interco Super Swamper TSL SX feedback.

I have a 1970 Bronco that is my trail rig but I also drive it around on the road occasionally. I am running recentered Humvee 16.5" double beadlock wheels so my tire selection is limited. I currently have dry rotted and worn down gov issue 37" BFG's .
I am also running a 2" body lift with 3.5" suspension.

I am thinking about buying a set of Interco Super Swamper TSL SX tires in a 38"-12.5"/16.5". These are the 6 ply bias ply tires. They also offer a 10 ply with a higher load rating.

I am running a D44 up front with RCV's, large bearing 9" with 31 spline axles with 4.65 gears. Min spool in the rear and a Spartan locker in the front.

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
I have a set ran them off road with bead locks aired down and they pull great they also did good on the road I had a full spool and I was leaving a lot of tread on concrete parking lots and gas stations because of the spool but over all I liked them a lot would buy another set in a heart beat if I had a need for them.

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Thanks!
I would prefer their new TSL SX2 with siping and a few more cuts in the lugs but they don't offer them in a 38.
I have a tire cutter and may sipe them but I don't think I will cut lugs on a set of $400 each tires. I cut the lugs on my gov issue BFG's and could never ballance them.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I liked them when I ran them. In a 16.5 they are probably the best thing your going to find. Will work better on the trail than the old military tires ever did

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
I have been running the 36" sx's for about 4 years they work really great but there are a couple of consideration you have to understand about. First they are heavy so you some power to get them spinning. The tire clean out nice but you have to get them spinning to clean out quickly. I have had them on highway doing 80 nice and smooth no big vibration. I'm told they are fairly loud, but I can't hear them over my motor but I also do run an intercom with headsets. I would totally get another set mostly likely a little bigger. But for east coast wheeling they are hard to beat

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I cant go over 60MPH with the military tires until it develops a shake. I am 90% sure its the old dry rot tires.

How are you guys balancing them?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I never did and thought they were acceptable. The hardest part is getting a round tire from Interco no amount of balancing will smooth a square tire

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
I think they are a great traction tire. I had a set of 33 x 12.50 on my EB and they were great for snow wheeling. I now run them on my '79 F-150 since I went to 35s on the EB.

Mine tend to flat spot though if sitting for a while and after two attempts still aren't balanced for some reason. The last shop made a point to say they are a pain.

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
I cant go over 60MPH with the military tires until it develops a shake. I am 90% sure its the old dry rot tires.

How are you guys balancing them?

10 or 12 ounces of ceramic BB's

I also torque the bead locks in a star pattern in 5 ft lb increments

68rustbucket

Loc.
San Marcos,TX
That 38” tire may be too much tire for the D44, even with the RCV’s. I’m talking heavy trail use. Make sure you carry extra parts on the trail, hubs, RCV parts.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
No balance and I've had my Bronco over 80mph on the road and it's fine, but that was at like 3psi too.

They leave tread marks on pavement and wear fast but oh boy do they work great on everything.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
I loved mine! They were a great all around tire except for rainy/wet pavement. I have toyed with the idea of buying another set in 36" but the BFG KM2s I have now are a better choice for the driving I do, now. I haven't wheeled much in the last 3 years.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks!
I would prefer their new TSL SX2 with siping and a few more cuts in the lugs but they don't offer them in a 38.
I have a tire cutter and may sipe them but I don't think I will cut lugs on a set of $400 each tires. I cut the lugs on my gov issue BFG's and could never ballance them.

Just take it easy on that skinny pedal w/the D44 :)

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
That 38” tire may be too much tire for the D44, even with the RCV’s. I’m talking heavy trail use. Make sure you carry extra parts on the trail, hubs, RCV parts.

Would a 100% agree on the original rcv’s 44 shaft that they released. Due to the machined groove in the splines that’s holds the shaft into the CV. But they have fixed the issue and warranting then for 40” tires and below.
e5ba21c234c688b55e731ae2d56b3b03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LSharpNM

A Dana 44 can be built to handle 38" tires fairly reliably, but a stock 44 wont hold up well at all to real rock crawling. I don't think I would build the narrow, low pinion EB 44 with 38s in mind. I am personally running 38" XMLs on a '78-'79 F250 Dana 44. RCVs aren't the only option. conventional 4340 axles with the 30 spline outers and CTM/OX/Superjoint/etc. U-joints will hold up well too and be a bit cheaper.

They leave tread marks on pavement and wear fast but oh boy do they work great on everything.

Are you running the stickies?

Would a 100% agree on the original rcv’s 44 shaft that they released. Due to the machined groove in the splines that’s holds the shaft into the CV. But they have fixed the issue and warranting then for 40” tires and below.
e5ba21c234c688b55e731ae2d56b3b03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I said above, RCVs aren't the only option, but yes, as you pointed out, RCVs are warrantied for a 40" tire, which at that point, you've exceeded what the ring and pinion can handle unless you've done a Jana 54/K4 conversion.

As to the OP's original question about SXs, they work great in the sharp and Jagged rocks here in New Mexico and a lot of guys run them.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't realize the OP was already running RCVs :p Assuming they are the new style as Snipes mentioned, he should be alright, but I'd be concerned about the low pinion gear set if he's going to wheel it hard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Good to know I am covered on 38's. And great pic. A friend of mine broke his RCV inner shaft on a full width D44 axle last week.

I just did not want go D60's and I am not crazy on the trails but 37's aired down just dont give me the clearance so I pulled the trigger on 38 bias tires I am planning on running at 5 PSI.

I have been running 37" gov issue surplus BFG's that are so worn down I am shorter than a 35" tire.
Besides all my buddies run 37's and I had to go one up. :)

68rustbucket

Loc.
San Marcos,TX
I ran 37” BFG stickies on a built D44. 4:88 w/air locker, CTM joints, and 4340 axles. Carried extra set of complete axles and hubs for trail repairs. Always broke something over the weekend.

LSharpNM

I ran 37” BFG stickies on a built D44. 4:88 w/air locker, CTM joints, and 4340 axles. Carried extra set of complete axles and hubs for trail repairs. Always broke something over the weekend.

Stickies are a different animal all together. Were you running 19 spline outers still? That brings up a good point about hubs though, you really need to be running flanges on a 44 with 37"+ tires because none of the hubs hold up. Supposedly the new Yukon Hardcore hubs are really tough, but I have no experience with them. I broke Mile Markers and Warn Premiums before sticking flanges in my axle.

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
Stickies are a different animal all together. Were you running 19 spline outers still? That brings up a good point about hubs though, you really need to be running flanges on a 44 with 37"+ tires because none of the hubs hold up. Supposedly the new Yukon Hardcore hubs are really tough, but I have no experience with them. I broke Mile Markers and Warn Premiums before sticking flanges in my axle.

I want a set of the yukon hardcore, they have been getting really good reviews , but I have 2 sets of 30 spline warn premiums. One set with the the rcv 300m inserts, haven't had any issues with them. The one weird thing to point out, the 30 spline premiums without the 300m inner gear always break the spiral retaining clip before anything else breaks. Once it breaks it defaults the hub to open so it really doesn't cause any damage. Lucky you can get a bag of retaining clips on McMaster Carr for like 10 bucks.