• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much lift do I have?

bgaller

I just bought a project Bronco that has a James Duff lift as well as a body lift. I've heard I should measure from the axle to the frame to get the suspension lift (6" in rear and 7" in front is stock?), but what about the body lift? Visually it looks like the body mounts are between 2-3" tall, what's stock?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably just 2 inch body lift or BL. The stock rubber bushing is about 1 inch thick, so add to that and looks like 3 BL.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Stock rubber body mount/insulator/cushion/thingy is actually 3/4" tall, so almost an inch. If there is a second piece on top of the insulator, then that is your lift. Just measure the additional piece.
Usually they are a black phenolic-resin type material, but there are also aluminum versions. But they can really be anything if someone went custom.

If the top insulators are 1 single piece, just measure them. If they're 3/4" tall then they're stock height. If they are 1 3/4" tall then they are an integrated 1" body lift.

Yes on the 7" front and 6" rear suspension measurements. Measure between the bottom of the frame rail and the top of the axle tubes.

Paul

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
7" front and 6" rear (measured bottom of frame to top of axle tube). Is this right?

I always thought it was 7" front and rear... Well, someone told me that. (tech from a vendor)

Can someone back this up? if this is correct then my numbers are wrong..

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nothing is etched in stone regarding Broncos as much as the fact that nothing is etched in stone.
Even the 7 and 6 numbers (the most common yardstick) are merely approximate. Broncos can easily be a half inch in either direction, or sometimes more, for a given amount of suspension height. Different options, different modifications, different ages, etc. All can make at least a little bit of a difference.
It's just the way they are.

So the tech that told you 7" at both ends was either correct from their own experiences, or simply not remembering it (the rule-of-thumb) correctly. Chuck from BC Broncos was the first to make this a well known measurement from what I remember. Probably got tired of all the "why is my Bronco half an inch lower/taller/wider/heavier/uglier/bluer than what you said it would be" comments.;)

So while your numbers may in fact be wrong, you might also be right.
The trick is not to sweat the precision too much.

Paul