• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How close to run exhaust to things?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I am in the process of running new exhaust and think I have it set up about where I want it to be. My only concern is how close it is to a few things. Is there a rule of thumb of how far to keep the pipes away from braided steel brake lines, a steel gas tank, the pickup tube from the gas tank, as well as the bed floor? Just want to make sure I am not going to melt through anything or ruin my rhino lining by getting too close.

Rockrawl

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
For whatever its worth, I was just noticing again today that my exhaust runs about 2-3 inches from my steel gas tank. I haven't noticed any problems with it being there but I have caused vapor lock by running it that close to my braided fuel line. It also runs very close (~1") from the backside of my transfer case and hasn't caused any problems there either.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Once you mentioned Rhino lining, then things get interesting. I have seen several times where exhaust heat will bubble up the lining, sometimes from exhaust a couple inches away. Recomend a heat shield especially up near the engine.

Brake lines are good an inch or two away if the cross perpenduclar. Run parrellel, 6-8 inches.

Fuel tank, an inch.

Fuel filler neck, keep far away. heat will rot the rubber, then it will leak fuel in the exhaust area when refueling or sloshing fuel on a near full tank. Not good.

My general rule is 1" as a minimum to anything I like to keep protected slightly. Most anything is safe after 8" except plastic fuel filters.

tasthree

Loc.
western NC
It can be hard to tuck a exhaust up out of the way and still leave a large clearance to items.I went to a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 super single set up I made myself which IMO sounds better than the duel I replaced.You can go to a shop that dose exhast work and ask them for some free scrap exhaust pieces.I take a hack saw with me to cut what I need.Get the next size up which makes a nice shield.Notch the ends to leave some tabs to bend down and secure it with some ss hose clamps.Hope this helps.