• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Parchment Vinyl Floor, close up

C_Man69EB

Hi,

Does Anyone have a PIECE of original parchment vinyl floor they can give me or sell me? I am trying to create one myself for my restoration, and need a good example like a piece was under a seat or something, not sun-bleached or stained, and looks like the original floor. maybe something 10" square to so? not tiny like a business car). Thank you!!!

Cullen in Oklahoma

f2502011

I’d like to see what you come with on this as I’ve been trying to think of ways to do this too. Ones I’ve seen in person resemble burlap.

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

I’d like to see what you come with on this as I’ve been trying to think of ways to do this too. Ones I’ve seen in person resemble burlap.a couple of my previous broncos had the remnants of parchment mats,

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

Thanks. I agree. Burlap. Couple of my older broncos that I had years ago came with remnants of their original mats, cracked and deteriorated. I just threw them out. We didn't know back then.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I keep dreaming that a vendor with remanufacture these, then I wake up. Someone did a decent enough job DIYing one a few years ago but I don't recall who it was.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Someone dyed theirs just last year using SEM products. Did not look anything like an original, but it still looked fantastic I thought!
The discussion should be searchable I think. In fact I was going to try doing just that today to find the part numbers they used in the spray can dye, because I'm going to do mine as well.

Remember that not all of them were Parchment either. There were slightly darker ones (assuming Tan?) and then of course the fancy colored ones that won't be mistaken for Parchment. Orange, Blue, Green, etc.
I have one that's pretty beat up, but even the areas under the rear seat look about the same. Making me think it's not the lighter Parchment version.
I keep trying to find decent pics of my two friend's '72 Explorers with that arrangement. One of which donated the one in mine that I was referring to. I was sure that the Red '72 had a lighter color than the Tan '72 (the one I have) but that's just memory talking. They may have been the same color originally.

Good luck on the project. Doing it to mine this year when the weather warms up. Already have the interior gutted and am installing some insulation, letting the new black colored mat flatten out in the interior and contemplating it's fate.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thinking about mine a bit more, I think that SEM 15823 that the OP of the other thread used would be a better match for my re-upholstered seats and the new side panels. A factory matched color might not be as good as the SEM product.
Looking at the other pics it looks like his mat is lighter than his seats. My seats are lighter from the new covers, so I guess I'll have to see just how close to the dye they are.

Paul

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Thinking about mine a bit more, I think that SEM 15823 that the OP of the other thread used would be a better match for my re-upholstered seats and the new side panels. A factory matched color might not be as good as the SEM product.
Looking at the other pics it looks like his mat is lighter than his seats. My seats are lighter from the new covers, so I guess I'll have to see just how close to the dye they are.

Paul
Im interested to see your results as Ive been thinking about doing this with the 70.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Pics when done for sure

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
LET ME ADD my 2 CENTS worth to this..
Back in the day I'm going to say when Sems came out .. I sold it at my Parts store / Paint Story .. I started in my store in 1967 but I sure didn't get Sems until later . MAYBE about 1980+ .. When I 1st got it I got quarts to mix the colors.. It was sold to me being a DuPOINT PAINT mixer... SO I was just supposed to custom hand mix the color the customer wanted .. Later Sems sent out about 20 colors in a spray can about 20oz.
That 1st day I got the HAND MIXING COLORS ... THEIR salesman was at my store showing me how to use & sell that product .
SO We had an old bucket seat that everyone who came into my store sat in.. That chair stayed there for about 15 years more. & That Sems never wore off , I'm telling you it was great .
SO I'M GOING TO SAY you can take any floormate & Paint it the Beige color you want. I don't know if they still make the Quarts to hand mix the paint you spray on with a paint guns.
I think we cleaned the vinyl with Lacquer thinner .. Of course It'd be better to take it to a car wash & spray clean it with soap & water 1st .
The Lacquer thinner makes it tacky enough to get the product to stick.. Or become part of the Mat.
Later DuPoint came up with a clear type product to put in Lucite Lacquer paint & I could mix almost any color with my mixing card formulas . & Use that clear product to make it Vinyl & flexible .
.... Hope my ole thought help .. That was a long time ago.

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

Paul
thanks for the links and info Paul!

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

LET ME ADD my 2 CENTS worth to this..
Back in the day I'm going to say when Sems came out .. I sold it at my Parts store / Paint Story .. I started in my store in 1967 but I sure didn't get Sems until later . MAYBE about 1980+ .. When I 1st got it I got quarts to mix the colors.. It was sold to me being a DuPOINT PAINT mixer... SO I was just supposed to custom hand mix the color the customer wanted .. Later Sems sent out about 20 colors in a spray can about 20oz.
That 1st day I got the HAND MIXING COLORS ... THEIR salesman was at my store showing me how to use & sell that product .
SO We had an old bucket seat that everyone who came into my store sat in.. That chair stayed there for about 15 years more. & That Sems never wore off , I'm telling you it was great .
SO I'M GOING TO SAY you can take any floormate & Paint it the Beige color you want. I don't know if they still make the Quarts to hand mix the paint you spray on with a paint guns.
I think we cleaned the vinyl with Lacquer thinner .. Of course It'd be better to take it to a car wash & spray clean it with soap & water 1st .
The Lacquer thinner makes it tacky enough to get the product to stick.. Or become part of the Mat.
Later DuPoint came up with a clear type product to put in Lucite Lacquer paint & I could mix almost any color with my mixing card formulas . & Use that clear product to make it Vinyl & flexible .
.... Hope my ole thought help .. That was a long time ago.
thank you, good advice. Yes, that is one of my biggest concerns, how to apply a "paint" to a rubber floor, get it to bend, contract and expand with heat, and not just fall off. it would need to be a vinyl paint or something with flexibility. I even briefly considered latex like house paint, as it tends to dry "pliable". But I'm just brainstorming.

I also think some type of floor mat on top of the vinyl/rubber floor might be good for drivers to keep the heel wear to a min in that location, then take them out for show or something.

So what I know so far is:
1. the bronco scripted rubber mat from the vendors is a close pattern, shape and texture to the original, with obviously no color.
2. A good solution would need to resolve a method for replicating the color(s) to match the original and the texture, which I agree, tends to be like burlap.
3. Any color, paint or dye would need to be durable and wear appropriately, which seems more challenging on something like rubber, than something solid like metal or plastic.

.....but I need a piece of an original to mimic as a go-by. I dont want to rely on photos, I want to see it up close and study it.

Hopefully someone can provide a piece. I'll pay for it!

Cullen

f2502011

The SEM stuff I've used on a lot of things it adheres well and doesn't flake off. The original mats look like a mix of light and medium parchment and darker in the crevices. I was thinking about possibly painting the mat first with the medium parchment, clear coating that then going over it with light parchment then scuffing that in the low areas to reveal the clear coated/protected medium parchment underneath. Probably an easier way but that's my initial thought to get it close.