• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help - Broken Head Bolt

kbaker1

Loc.
San Antonio
3rd head bolt back on driver's side is snapped in half. drilled into bolt and used a tap/wedge tool, but no luck. using wd40, but would something else work beter to help loosen it up? i've pulled the entire engine. any suggestions on getting the head bolt out?

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Is it the head off? If it broken below the deck. Get some PB Blaster. Heat the stub and hose it down good. Tap the hole you drilled. Put a stud in it with 2 nuts. Jamb them against each other and back off on the bottom one. Don't be afraid to heat and quench it with PB blaster a few times.
That usually works good here in the rust belt.
If it is above the deck when you pull the head off. Use vice-grips plus the heat and quench.

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
Do you have a welder?...stick a 3/4" nut on top the broken bolt, and start filling the empty nut hole with a weld. Hit the brokenbolt first and in a circular pattern fill the nut. The nut will be red hot and spray PB blaster till its not red anymore, but hot. and try removing the bolt.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you are rebuilding the engine, leave it for now. When you send the block to the machine shop have them remove it.

bobbyray27

If it were me and I had the motor out I would just remove the head and pull the bolt out with a pair of vice-grips. If you leave the head on, heat and cool heat and cool and get it to come out then put the motor back and find that the head gasket now leaks you wont be happy. I believe you do it write the first time and forget a bout it. I don't like short cut then only cost you time and money.

OP
OP
K

kbaker1

Loc.
San Antonio
The head is out. the top half of the bolt is out. the reming half is too deep to get tools on. i will try the PB Blaster and the reverse drill bit referredto in other threads.

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
The head is out. the top half of the bolt is out. the reming half is too deep to get tools on. i will try the PB Blaster and the reverse drill bit referredto in other threads.

just remember those reverse bits are hardened and they always break off in the hole (at least every time i've tried to use one). then it's a real pia to get out. i now use a center punch in the hole and drill out the stud (start with a small bit and work your way up in size to just shy of the threads) i then use a pick to clear the threads then run a tap down the hole. it's a sucky job no matter what method you use

Ratch

Just a suggestion. when using a reverse bit, make sure you are centered on the
end of the bolt. run your drill as slowly as it can go and still cut. head bolts are pretty hard so it may take a while. make sure bit is sharp. not that i would ever break a bolt%) you might get lucky and have the bolt come out when the bit bites