• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help. F-ing Dana 20 install - broken arm, bruised head, torn skin everywhere

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I finished putting in the spud shaft for my C4 conversion so I put the d20 on my little fixture so you can see how it will hopefully work:

In the picture it's sitting on the jack saddle. When I actually install the d20, it'll remove the saddle and bolt the fixture to the jack. I may use a strap around the fixture and d20 to help keep it from falling off. I might need to shave a little off the top of the vertical 2x4 because the hole for the dowel pin isn't perfectly at the top. I may also put a couple of 2x2s in front and behind the d20 to keep it from moving front/back. Made from scrap wood I had.

I like to use studs in the tcase where it mates to the adapter. It keeps the gasket from getting torn if there's any misalignment when mating. Gasket goes under the auto spud retainer.

Oatmeal

I finished putting in the spud shaft for my C4 conversion so I put the d20 on my little fixture so you can see how it will hopefully work:

In the picture it's sitting on the jack saddle. When I actually install the d20, it'll remove the saddle and bolt the fixture to the jack. I may use a strap around the fixture and d20 to help keep it from falling off. I might need to shave a little off the top of the vertical 2x4 because the hole for the dowel pin isn't perfectly at the top. I may also put a couple of 2x2s in front and behind the d20 to keep it from moving front/back. Made from scrap wood I had.
Good idea! How about one of these: http://www.nextag.com/Northern-Tool-TRE2001-Torin-540064713/prices-html with a small modification (like your jig) so you can tilt it back and forth and side to side. Hmm......the last time I hoisted that t/c into place was over 15 yrs ago, I don't know if I could do it now! :eek: It sucks getting old:( ----------Hans

Nightmare Bronc

"I used a motor hoist in the opened passenger side door down through the floor where the t case shifter goes"
[/QUOTE]

I done the same thing and it worked out ok.

OP
OP
amc78cj7

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will bench press it tomorrow and installed studs instead of the bolts to simplify the alignment. Now I need to find grade 8 studs. Autozone had none and either did home depot. May have to make a trip to carquest, sears hardware or fastenal tomorrow.

bax

Old Member
I got really good at this when I kept killing the AOD's. I am a bench presser kinda guy. get under there and roll it up on your chest and press it into place. The really cool thing about this is once you get it up, you have to get it in. If you fail you die. Well perhaps not death with a 20 but with a 205 you have to win.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will bench press it tomorrow and installed studs instead of the bolts to simplify the alignment. Now I need to find grade 8 studs. Autozone had none and either did home depot. May have to make a trip to carquest, sears hardware or fastenal tomorrow.

If you do the stud thing make sure to lightly bevel the holes going into the adapter. A deburring tool or big drill bit will work. It makes it go together a lot slicker.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I like to use studs in the tcase where it mates to the adapter. It keeps the gasket from getting torn if there's any misalignment when mating. Gasket goes under the auto spud retainer.

Oops. It was a mild pain getting it in because the o-ring didn't want to compress into the groove.

12-Pack Jeff

Loc.
La Mirada, Ca
I dont have experience with the D20 but when I put a new tranny in my 96 ranger I put ratchet straps under the tranny from each side of the body to hold it up it since my jack wouldnt go high enough.. I had 2 straps, I'd jack it up while my dad balanced it, then tighten the ratchet straps, then lower the jack, put 4x4's between jack and tranny, then jack it up again as high as I could.. balance, tighten straps, lower jack, add 4x4's again, jack up again... worked out fairly nice maybe you could do something similar ?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Making your own transmission jack will help in these situations...

Attachments

• trans jack.JPG
    trans jack.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 89
  • transdolly.jpg
    transdolly.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 77

lobobronco

I'm a little late on posting to this, but this is a great thread and I wish I had these pictures and information when I put in the transfer case (1st go around with the buddy and bench pressing was not fun). In any case, I also made a jig (which will be around for a long time). As above, I used the inspection cover bolts to hold in place. With me under the bronco (Lucy) and my wife operating the jack, it was positioned in under 5 minutes easily. Here are some pics....

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 32

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
I got really good at this when I kept killing the AOD's. I am a bench presser kinda guy. get under there and roll it up on your chest and press it into place. The really cool thing about this is once you get it up, you have to get it in. If you fail you die. Well perhaps not death with a 20 but with a 205 you have to win.

Now that there is funny I don't care who you are, and soooo true!
The 205 will crush you like a worm!!;D

OP
OP
amc78cj7

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
I'm a little late on posting to this, but this is a great thread and I wish I had these pictures and information when I put in the transfer case (1st go around with the buddy and bench pressing was not fun). In any case, I also made a jig (which will be around for a long time). As above, I used the inspection cover bolts to hold in place. With me under the bronco (Lucy) and my wife operating the jack, it was positioned in under 5 minutes easily. Here are some pics....

Matt

Are you guys balancing these cradles on the 8" jack plate or are you removing that plate and adding a "pin" to insert into the floor jack arm?

Any measurements would be great as I mock up my own...;D

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
i welded an old socket to my base to install it on the jack with the cup removed.

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
Lay on your back, have a buddy put the D-20 on your stomach, and bench press into place. Oh just don't drop it or you will hit your head getting out of the way.

I did this and ended up getting it into place by myself about ten years ago when I was 23. I felt like the man for the rest of the day.

orangebronco68

Loc.
Mesa, AZ
It's not that hard to do. Put your D20 on something that will slide ( i use an old towel). Sit up under the bronco facing the back of the tranny. Slide the D20 between you legs and lift onto your lap and lift. Doing it this way it only has to go up about 10 inches. Reference the dowl pin that goes into the adapter so it is lined up and seconds later you have it installed. BTW, i did my first D20 over 35 years ago and still doing them. I am 54 years old. Quick tip. Grab a teenager to help.
Good luck.

Scrapper_MV

I just helped a friend replace a Dana 20, it was a breeze. But that's because we were working on a 71' Scout 800H. The entire tunnel cover comes off and we were able to use a come along hanging from the roll bar to lift the t-case. This made me want to make my tunnel removable. Has anyone done this?

OP
OP
amc78cj7

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
Just got back from Harbor freight and bought a $50 transmission jack adapter. Going to use it as the base for a saddle made with wood fences.

Also scored a deal on 2 3000lb ATV winches. On sale for $70 each and I got an added discount for $50 each. Going to mount both to the trailer and use to winch the bronco. I figure for $100 I just got 6000lb winching capability for the trailer. Only 32' of cable but that should be fine for the 18' trailer. Score!

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
BTW, i did my first D20 over 35 years ago and still doing them. I am 54 years old. Quick tip. Grab a teenager to help.
Good luck.

Ha! That's EXACTLY what I did! HE did the bench press and I did the guiding... it's good to know my groceries go to good use!

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
you guys got it all wrong... You start with a full resto and remove the tub. Makes it really easy to lift it right into place with the engine hoist ;)

At least that's what i wish had done. Added a 435 after i got the body back on. Needed a 2" body lift to clear. I was able to use a come-a-long from the front cage but my tranny tunnel was already opened up from the old 3 speed floor shifter and the new opening for the 435.