• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headlight Wiring harness / need pics

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
I have an LED headlight wiring harness, but I think anyone that has installed an H4 or LED headlight set up has had the same problem. How do you attach the headlight wiring harness to the grill, or core support nicely? Zips ties do not belong on the grill, and my core support has a condenser in front of it, so I’m looking for a few pics of a clean headlight wiring install. Wished I thought of this while I was at the WH round up.

F

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Running H4 headlights...

Bracket places relays under headlight rain water deflector. Made my own harness, wires run to the other headlight while the grill was off...

Attachments

• DSCN6097.jpg
    DSCN6097.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCN6102.jpg
    DSCN6102.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 124
OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Running H4 headlights...

Bracket places relays under headlight rain water deflector. Made my own harness, wires run to the other headlight while the grill was off...

That looks real nice and clean, did you put the harness on the core support? Did you zip tie it or? Any pics of how you ran it from passenger side to drivers side? I like how you mounted the relays, I plan to do the same

Thanks,

Forrest

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
904’s solution is the simplest and cleanest way. Mine is more complex as i made my own wiring harness and moved all the relay and fuses for the entire truck to a box on the passenger inner fend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
That looks real nice and clean, did you put the harness on the core support? Did you zip tie it or? Any pics of how you ran it from passenger side to drivers side? I like how you mounted the relays, I plan to do the same

Thanks,

Forrest

Here you go...

Attachments

• IMG_20180401_164344646.jpg
    IMG_20180401_164344646.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
904’s solution is the simplest and cleanest way. Mine is more complex as i made my own wiring harness and moved all the relay and fuses for the entire truck to a box on the passenger inner fend.

Hi Phred, please post a picture, it may give me an idea of how to make it work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the upgraded harness and relays off Ebay. the relays are mounted on the inner fender well on the passengers side behind the battery . out of sight out of mind. put the wires in black plastic loom running across the core support just under the radiator clamps on the back side..

Thanks for the link, it's similar to what I have, but I need to see some more pics

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224426009905?hash=item3440d52531:g:MOkAAOSwZr5geASe

Here you go...

Thanks 904Bronco, that helps, but I put an AC line in the way I think, nuts! :eek:%)

Attachments

• 20200620_151421.jpg
    20200620_151421.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200620_151415.jpg
    20200620_151415.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 56

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I have a spare one if anyone is looking.

My understanding was the LED headlight by their nature pulls less power and the extra harness wasn't needed with LED's headlights...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's not needed from the power output end of things. So that's correct. However it's still felt to be a nice upgrade because LED's are so sensitive and can flicker if the voltage varies through all the old wiring and switches and stuff. If yours is all new, this is probably not an issue. But if it's old original wiring, the relays can clean up the signal by getting that power from the battery to the lights through a shorter run of wire with only the relay as a switch in the middle. And relays are generally considered clean switches I believe.

None of that is engineering speak. Just what I've seen discussed over the years. Might be a variation on that theme then, but some are convinced that relays are still an advantage with LED headlights.
I won't be removing my relays if I ever swap to LED's.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
It's not needed from the power output end of things. So that's correct. However it's still felt to be a nice upgrade because LED's are so sensitive and can flicker if the voltage varies through all the old wiring and switches and stuff. If yours is all new, this is probably not an issue. But if it's old original wiring, the relays can clean up the signal by getting that power from the battery to the lights through a shorter run of wire with only the relay as a switch in the middle. And relays are generally considered clean switches I believe.

None of that is engineering speak. Just what I've seen discussed over the years. Might be a variation on that theme then, but some are convinced that relays are still an advantage with LED headlights.

where's your pics? :D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
buried under a lifetime of crap. that's where!:-[%):p

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
where's your pics?

Same as 904's earlier (because he did both) mounted behind the passenger light, under the flap:

DSCN2148 sm.jpg

Because both of mine are full custom they only serve to give idears for mounting. Not an actual "put yours here" tutorial.
The standard harnesses like we sell at WH are much longer than the earlier ones, but still require a bit of clever routing to keep the wiring as clean as possible.
If longer runs are needed they can be added, or just done custom like these.

I actually ran my driver's side headlight AND my horn relay power wires through the factory firewall grommets, under the dash and out the driver's side grommet to clean things up. More wire, which kind of defeats the purpose, but it was larger gauge and still shorter than the factory wire. I have very bright headlights.
And a loud horn too!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Regarding the horn relay comment, it's only needed on '73 and earlier Broncos with stock wiring. Any mid-'74 and later stock wiring system, and all the aftermarket harnesses that I know of, include a horn relay already.

Much better than running it all the way through the column and then back out to the horn.

Paul

OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
I have very bright headlights.
And a loud horn too!

Paul

What horn are you using? I need to get one, and I’d like a decent sounding one. I guess I could try to get some like my dad’s old Buick Riviera, now those were loud;D

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Same as 904's earlier (because he did both) mounted behind the passenger light, under the flap:

View attachment 524818

Because both of mine are full custom they only serve to give idears for mounting. Not an actual "put yours here" tutorial.
The standard harnesses like we sell at WH are much longer than the earlier ones, but still require a bit of clever routing to keep the wiring as clean as possible.
If longer runs are needed they can be added, or just done custom like these.

I actually ran my driver's side headlight AND my horn relay power wires through the factory firewall grommets, under the dash and out the driver's side grommet to clean things up. More wire, which kind of defeats the purpose, but it was larger gauge and still shorter than the factory wire. I have very bright headlights.
And a loud horn too!

Yes sir....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even though the relay did wake up the original horn a little bit, I converted mainly to save the horn button contacts under the steering wheel. But they definitely help pump up the volume too.
Finally got tired of the single horn tone and relatively weak output (not very truck-like I didn't think) so I just bought one of the twin-horn kits from the local auto supply store.

They're a bit more car-like than I prefer for what I consider a truck, but they're wicked loud and have a decent tone to them. I'm sure you've seen them before, with their red cases and bright grille work. Come in a blister pack and were seen in most auto parts stores back in the day. Maybe still are.
My other set I think I used in a friend's Bronco were the Hella brand twin flat round horns that look like motorcycle horns. Those were even better.

I've just found that dual horns sound more authoritative than singles. Junk yard finds off of full size trucks (88-98 GM trucks have a good set) are probably the best, but are also typically fairly large. Not all will fit into whatever small spot you have remaining under a Bronco.

Paul

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri

Paul

Thanks Paul! good intel!!