• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headers! - Long tubes + Full Width (D60) + Cage Arms

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
So what is the deal here with fitting long tubes on a 1 ton with Cage arms - I've read they don't fit and whatnot, but not exactly what the deal is. Do they hit on the driver side, or the pass or what?

Anyone have pictures of an install so I can see what I'm going to get myself into? I'm curious on how low they hang - I'm totally willing to chop them up a bit to make room, this isn't a race car, so I'm not worried about equal flow or efficancy, anything is better than the factory manifolds.

I can forse clearance issues on the driver side with the clutch linkage

My current exhaust is run like so-

Anyone have pictures of some longtubes installed regardless of the configuration?

68Olblue

Loc.
Auburn
It's the front driveshaft that's my main issue.

X2 on that. It looks like the long tube headers are in the way of the front driveline. I mocked mine up and noticed it wasn't going to work. Nothing that a torch and a welder couldn't solve though. Just a funky looking driver side header.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
X2 on that. It looks like the long tube headers are in the way of the front driveline. I mocked mine up and noticed it wasn't going to work. Nothing that a torch and a welder couldn't solve though. Just a funky looking driver side header.

I can make it work, any pics of your work or still in the planning stage?

welndmn

Bronco Guru
It's been a while since I had them on, but most of the long tube headers I've ever seen crash into the diff on a High pinion full width front axle.

68Olblue

Loc.
Auburn
I can make it work, any pics of your work or still in the planning stage?

I didn't take any pics of that one. Just from mocking the 60 up while the long tube header were in, solidified what I researched about the hp 60 swap, you needed to go with a manifold. Or shorty headers and make a custom adapter to squeeze around the frame rail. I still have the headers, not on the truck, if I get some time I'll put them up for you and send a picture. Might be this weekend though.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Well, we will see what happens - this is what I picked up tonight:

I've got to clean them up, but they are James Duff long tubes with ceramic coating.

68Olblue

Loc.
Auburn
Those are pretty bad ass Kyle. Keep us updated with your fab skills and hownou solve the problem.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'm not certain when I'll have the chance to play with these, but when I do I'll take pictures and post info as always.

I'll be pulling my drivetrain out to replace the flywheel, NP435 and re-seal everything up. I'll yank the manifolds, drop the exhaust and see how bad its going to be.

yakelys69

not sure if this will help but this is how mine looks with the HP 44, long armes pushed 3" forward. Keep us posted it would be great not to change the headers. :cry:

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah, crap. I moved my front axle a few inches forward as well with the Cage arms. That in conjunction with the Atlas just may be enough...

It does kinda look like you could bend it out towards to the frame to get some more driveshaft clearance, but it looks like up-travel might be limited regardless with how low they hang - the taller 351W may help as well.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
The front drive shaft wants to go throgh the collector on fw and with a hp there is even less room for travel. you will end up with shorties by the time you hack up the long tubes to fit. I had longs on, did fw conversion, had to go shorties. you can tuck the exhaust in tighter with the shorties too.

68Olblue

Loc.
Auburn
The front drive shaft wants to go throgh the collector on fw and with a hp there is even less room for travel. you will end up with shorties by the time you hack up the long tubes to fit. I had longs on, did fw conversion, had to go shorties. you can tuck the exhaust in tighter with the shorties too.

Hey Pops which shorties did you go with? I have heard many shorty headers dump into the frame rail.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Hey Pops which shorties did you go with? I have heard many shorty headers dump into the frame rail.

I bought the WH bronco specific shorties. If you go el cheapo and get a set of mustang shorties the passenger side dumps into the framerail. I have heard of guys making them fit with a little cut and weld.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Anyone have pictures of these headers installed? Searching for James Duff/Wild Horses and Headers/Longtubes is a crap shoot...

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
i had long tubes and did full width HPD44... serious fitment issues with the pinion and driveshaft. if i remember...seemed ok at ride height...but zero up travel. i ordered wh's shorties to solve it...been using those for about 5 yrs. i have to dig through some very old pics to see if i have anything

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
somebody could use a second tool box ;D

Haha, that is my exhaust guy's shop, why an exhaust man has three toolboxes full of tools beats me, but he sure knows his stuff!

Well - I'll see how badly these fit, I'm not willing to loose travel due to headers...