• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Having trouble getting tires mounted and balanced

OP
OP
J

Junkie

I mount quite a few tires at work (Ford Technician) and with a good machine it shouldn't be an issue but I've seen and had folks complain about the smallest little nicks that were already there. We had a guy a few weeks ago complain that we bent a wheel by dropping it while it was being mounted we showed him the huge area of curb rash but that didn't cause it to be bent according him it was all our fault, it's the small amount of folks that ruin it for the general public.
Unfortunately, we run into shady folks like this in our business as well from time-to-time. Def screws it up for regular folks.

OP
OP
J

Junkie

It also depends upon the machine you have. I have an older basic machine (chinese) that I've upgraded with bead rams, bead puller, and center post adapter kit.

20180519_183533.jpg

20180519_184919.jpg

20200329_195602_001.jpg

20200404_120221_001.jpg

20230811_081335.jpg

CENTER%20POST%20ADAPTER%20TIRE%20MACHINE.jpg

But the rams especially, are on large arms that have some play. Occasionally, they move around and could cause some rim damage. Also, the main head is metal and
requires plastic inserts (they do make non metal heads, but mine has the integral bead puller). If the plastic inserts are worn, again, possible damage on outer edge of rim.

The new high end machines have some of these the items on ACME threaded rods, that are solidly mounted, so no flex. They don't use a traditional head, they use a
non-metal disk that can break down bead and/or push down bead for de-mount. Like this

HUNTER%20ACME%20THREAD%20MOUNT.jpg

So yes, you need a good tech who gives a crap about their work, but the newer equipment (if you know how to use it), can greatly reduce rim damage also.
Can ask the place exactly what machine they have, go look it up and see if it appears to be more like this new hunter, than an older POS like mine. :D
Thank you for the tip! I will be sure to ask.

OP
OP
J

Junkie

All depends on the skill of the tire tech. I bought a set of Gen 1 Raptor wheels brand new in the box and had my local Goodyear Tire store mount and balance a set of new Nitto's on them. They were able to mount the tires without even removing the fake beadlock ring and didn't put one nick on them.
A couple weeks later I had an issue with one of the valve stems being slow to "air down". I took it back to them and they replaced the valve stem and tpms. That tech nicked the rim all up around the valve stem.:mad:
Some folks have no common sense. I feel yout pain on that one. You probably didn't think twice since they did a good job for you the first time.

OP
OP
J

Junkie

Twice I’ve gone to Americas Tire with my own wheels and purchased tires that they mounted and balanced. They just unboxed the wheels while I watched and made sure they looked ok. No issues with the mounting and balance. Two different shops and both were extremely helpful and friendly. They mounted one tire each time
So I could run home and check the fit. Then did the other 3 when I got back. Think they are called Discount Tire in other places.
I will check around and see if there is one close. Thanks!

OP
OP
J

Junkie

My local El Amigo Tire Shop has the most careful techs and has no issues carefully doing anything I need. Even mounted the new shoes on the 20’s on my tow unit. I don’t know of any corporate shop that would have mounted them, don’t know why but all 4 took 160psi to seat the outer bead😱. The owner worked on it for 3-1/2 hours. Some of the little guys do spectacular work and will sell you anything you want or mount whatever you bring them.

I gave them the take offs to sell as a tip for their troubles, I was going to ask $400 on market place for them.
Thanks! Driving around for some local shops today. Have no problem tipping to make sure it is done right!!

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Last tires I had mounted I talked to one of the tire guys at pep boys and he did them for me after work for 25 bucks per wheel.