• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Having trouble getting 3 on tree in 1st or R

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Alright, have to revive this thread as I’m having a hell of a time getting her in 1st or R again. I spent a few hours today adjusting the linkage after setting a pin in neutral at the column…my steering column doesn’t have the welded eye hole as mentioned, but it has a white u shaped piece between the two column shifting arms which appears to be how I center it with a pin (see photos). After setting it it’s hit or miss if it will “pull back” on the shift arm on the column inside the cab to get it in 1st or R. It just stays locked (if you will) in the 2nd and 3rd part of the H pattern. I did micro adjustments, macro adjustments and always the same result. It will go in 1st or R sometimes, then it gets stuck in the 2nd/3rd column. I had the trans out a few months back for a clutch and flywheel replacement, at the time they flushed and refilled all the fluids. It shifted pretty well post work and it wasn’t until I got it back from the detail shop from its ceramic coat that I’ve been having issues (not blaming them, if they messed it up it wasn’t on purpose, I only share the detail as “something” could have changed at that point). I also noticed some oil dripping down the shift arms on the trans at the point where they enter the trans (see photos). It always had a bit of oil there but nearly as bad as it shows in the pic but I kind of chock that up to the fact that I was messing with it for hours and fighting getting it into gear. What could it be? Any thoughts? Is it my adjustments or do I have bigger issues with the oil leak at the trans that could prevent me from getting her into 1st and R when shifting it the cab. FWIW I can move the shift arms into their positions easily at the trans…my big issue is getting the shift arm on the column in the cab to pull back into the 1st/R column of the H pattern.

Attachments

• 6767C030-FB17-4FEF-A0F8-BDFB6D4E9BA0.jpeg
    6767C030-FB17-4FEF-A0F8-BDFB6D4E9BA0.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 24
  • E10D7951-B6F9-48F9-9834-59BF392D8968.jpeg
    E10D7951-B6F9-48F9-9834-59BF392D8968.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 21
  • FAFCBD0C-BE3A-4C1C-A9E1-3DF28B1BB37B.jpeg
    FAFCBD0C-BE3A-4C1C-A9E1-3DF28B1BB37B.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 25

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From your description it sounds like an issue at the column, rather than the trans. The leaking would not cause this. It's probably just a side effect of a combination of new oil and messing with it, and them aging out finally now that it's being used more and more. Perhaps it sat for a long time before this?
Or were the seals replaced when the trans was out? If so, might just be crappy new products or the wear pattern of the old seals in the shafts (if there is a wear spot) not matching up with the new seals.

If you can't physically pull the lever towards you to get into the 1st/Rev linkage, then it's got to be in the column. Whether it's the adjustment point being out of synch (for lack of a better term) or if something is actually worn out or busted up inside. Things like a failing shift tube could probably cause this.
It's not something that they all get eventually, but it's common enough to be on the radar. Cracks and things like welded appendages breaking off, etc.

Don't remember what year your truck is, but that looks like a '76 or '77 column by the bearing and the different style of interface/adjustment down at the shift arms on the transmission. Never noticed that type of u-shaped thingy for alignment. Guessing another update to the old design that was felt to be better, or cheaper. But if it works, it works.
But speaking of working, I wonder if it's possible for it to have shifted (no pun intended) and so is not doing it's job properly.
If you ignore the alignment cam thingy for the moment, where do the arms fall when they're in the middle of their travel? Is there a position further up or down where they align so that you can pull the lever back more easily? If so that might be all you have to do at least temporarily.

Unfortunately, having things come out of adjustment like this tends to indicate something wearing out.
But here's to hoping it's just a small hurdle.

Paul

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

From your description it sounds like an issue at the column, rather than the trans. The leaking would not cause this. It's probably just a side effect of a combination of new oil and messing with it, and them aging out finally now that it's being used more and more. Perhaps it sat for a long time before this?
Or were the seals replaced when the trans was out? If so, might just be crappy new products or the wear pattern of the old seals in the shafts (if there is a wear spot) not matching up with the new seals.

If you can't physically pull the lever towards you to get into the 1st/Rev linkage, then it's got to be in the column. Whether it's the adjustment point being out of synch (for lack of a better term) or if something is actually worn out or busted up inside. Things like a failing shift tube could probably cause this.
It's not something that they all get eventually, but it's common enough to be on the radar. Cracks and things like welded appendages breaking off, etc.

Don't remember what year your truck is, but that looks like a '76 or '77 column by the bearing and the different style of interface/adjustment down at the shift arms on the transmission. Never noticed that type of u-shaped thingy for alignment. Guessing another update to the old design that was felt to be better, or cheaper. But if it works, it works.
But speaking of working, I wonder if it's possible for it to have shifted (no pun intended) and so is not doing it's job properly.
If you ignore the alignment cam thingy for the moment, where do the arms fall when they're in the middle of their travel? Is there a position further up or down where they align so that you can pull the lever back more easily? If so that might be all you have to do at least temporarily.

Unfortunately, having things come out of adjustment like this tends to indicate something wearing out.
But here's to hoping it's just a small hurdle.

Paul

Great advice as always, Paul! When you say “where the arms fall when they’re I. The middle of their travel” do you mean at the column or at the trans?

Also, is there a way to troubleshoot the column shifter more easily? Could I unhook the linkage at the trans and see if it shifts smoothly back into 1st or 3rd?

Thank you!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes and yes. I was speaking of the arms at the column, and you can definitely disconnect the rods at the trans (or the column, but the trans is probably easier) to isolate the two systems.

I think you said that the transmission arms shift easily and firmly into their individual locations, so the column arms sound like the next target.
Speaking of the transmission arms, do they still lock each other out? Meaning, when one is towards their gear position even slightly, does the other arm get locked completely from moving? Check both just to be sure.
But that's just for more data to use, since I'm still thinking it's column because you said it was hard to even pull the shift lever in the cab back towards the 1/R position.

paul

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Alright, I think it’s the column. I tried again to adjust it after setting neutral and everything is lined up at the trans side with the 3/16 bit in at the column. Still won’t pull back into 1st/R without a lot of “finagling” in the cab which obviously won’t work out on the roads. I did hear some sort of rattling (metal on metal) after getting it back from the detail shop so I think they broke something and then it was barely hanging on, then conked out. Should I rebuild or are there any worthwhile upgrades? I’m not needing tilt as the location of the wheel is perfect for me

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Took the column out yesterday and plan to rebuild it later this week/over the weekend. Lots of metal shards spilled out from the wire hole when I pulled it. Something definitely broke inside.

Attachments

• 43779276-3574-4B4B-B5C5-451149C2DFBE.jpeg
    43779276-3574-4B4B-B5C5-451149C2DFBE.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 10

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just curious what you found when rebuilding the column, and if you were able to get it resolved?

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Was pretty easy once you have it apart and see how all the parts work in the column. My issue ended up being the spacer between the two shift arms at the base of the column, it was backwards and blocking the tab from sliding into the 1st/R shift lever.

Attachments

• 9BC41527-5D34-420B-9542-A776350581BE.jpeg
    9BC41527-5D34-420B-9542-A776350581BE.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 7

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad yours was a (relatively) simple fix, and you’re back on the road.

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

You and me both! She’s shifting so smooth now too, which is a huge bonus over the way she use to shift.